Discussion topic: Landline not working for 4 weeks now

This message was authored by TraceyL1 This message was authored by: TraceyL1

Landline not working for 4 weeks now

Hi - hope someone can help. I am posting on behalf of my dad, who has been trying to sort out a problem with his landline not working for nearing 4 weeks now. He has been in touch with Sky who sent someone out (from OpenReach I think) a few weeks back to sort the problem; it wasn't fixed and they have not come back and he can't get in touch with anyone again. 

The landline nealry aleays sounds engaged when it's not, or on the odd occasion it works there is so much crackle on the line that you can't hear the caller. 

This is causing him lots of stress as he uses his landline all the time. Please could someone advise how to actually get in touch with someone to come out and help? 

Many thanks! 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Landline not working for 4 weeks now

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Your dad will need to speak to Sky again to report that it's not fixed. You mentioned that he can't get in touch with anyone - what difficulty is he having? Do you have access to his account - for example, his telephone password, if he has one set up?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TraceyL1 

Your Dad (as he's presumably the account holder) will have to contact Sky and get an update as to where Openreach are in the repair process. It may be delayed for reasons such as they'll need to dig the road up so have to apply for permission from the council. 

Your post suggests the fault is intermittent but this link explains the Ofcom agreed auto compensation scheme which Sky operates for when there is a TOTAL loss of Sky Broadband or Sky Talk.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

If you have a total loss of service and it isn’t fixed after two full WORKING days from when you first report the fault to Sky, you will become eligible for it. It’s applied 30 days after the fault has been repaired and will come in the form of a credit appearing on your account.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@TraceyL1 unfortunately Sky can only talk to your father who is the account holder currently Sky like evetone else is very busy so it can be hard to get though.

Ideally you need to be with him and call Sky together using a mobile so he can authorise you to speak on his behalf. Openreach own the network that Sky use and it is their engineers who do the work but all communications have to be with the customer's telco who are Sky. This arms length communication causes issues with people who are confident in managing their own affairs but can be impossible as cutomers get older.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
TraceyL1
Topic Author
This message was authored by TraceyL1 This message was authored by: TraceyL1

I think the issue is that each time he phones he gets put through to a call centre and has to start the whole explaining process again, even though someone did come out a few weeks ago. Then he is told someone will come out (yesterday, last week etc) and no-one turns up. 

He had the mobile number of the engineer who originally came out but when he tried to call from his mobile, no-one answers. 

At the moment when I try his landline, it shows an engaged tone, even though he's not using it. 

Think he's at his wits end! 

Thanks eveyone for your helpful replies. I guess I was hoping there might be a way to escalate it rather than try the call centre again. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TraceyL1 wrote:

Then he is told someone will come out (yesterday, last week etc) and no-one turns up. 

Openreach may have been working on it at the exchange or local green cabinet without his knowledge.

He had the mobile number of the engineer who originally came out but when he tried to call from his mobile, no-one answers. 

That engineer may not be working that day, or not allocated that particular job now.

I guess I was hoping there might be a way to escalate it rather than try the call centre again. 

The issue with that is Sky will only talk to the account holder initially. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion