Discussion topic: Landline fault. I can hear them but they cannot hear me.

This message was authored by rugbymalc This message was authored by: rugbymalc

Landline fault. I can hear them but they cannot hear me.

Hi 

I have a fault on my landline.

If i phone out the phone works fine but if i receive an incoming call i can hear the caller but they cannot hear me. 

The phone is connected via a master socket on the wall.  I do not have a phone connected into the hub.  I understand the old copper connections are being phased out but i still have one.  I have tried turning the handset on and off.  I have tried a different handset and still get the fault.  I have asked different people to call me and experienced the same problem.

A number of people have called me today and experienced the same problem.  When i called each of them back the line worked fine they can hear me and i can hear them.  It appears the fault is only on incoming calls where i can hear them but they cannot hear me.  It therefor appears the fault is at my end.

If anyone from sky reads this can you please help.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19 Answer

Re: Landline fault. I can hear them but they cannot hear me.

Posted by a Sky employee

After speaking with rugbymalc we went through some troubleshooting steps which didn't resolve the landline issue so we have arranged an Openreach engineer visit accordingly.

It was great speaking with you rugbymalc and thanks again.

Thanks
Tom

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Try running this line test to see if a fault is found outside of your property and if something is found you can book an engineer repair:

https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-talk/fix-problems-with-my-phone/diagnostics/fix-problems-with-your...

You can also run this test via the MySky app.

Let us know how you get on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
rugbymalc
Topic Author

Thx for the relply.  I had already done this but ran it again but still have the problem.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

I have escalated your post to Sky who will be in touch with you sometime tomorrow regarding this via a blue/red chat bubble which will appear at the bottom of this page.

This link explains how this works:
https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

When the chat bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed. This isn't a live chat so replies are not instant.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating. We've sent an invite to rugbymalc.

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

After speaking with rugbymalc we went through some troubleshooting steps which didn't resolve the landline issue so we have arranged an Openreach engineer visit accordingly.

It was great speaking with you rugbymalc and thanks again.

Thanks
Tom
rugbymalc
Topic Author

Well that was a waste of time.

After a week with this probkem the openreach engineer arrived today, carried out his tests and concluded that sky equipment was at fault and it was affecting over 100 other customers in my area.  I have been told to wait another 75 hours to see if the fault is fixed.  Needless to say i am a tad annoyed by this not to mention highly frustrated.  I am paying for a service i am clearly not getting.  Will i be getting a refund for the time i have been out of service?

Can someone tell me how to get this problem sorted.  Do sky really value me as a vip customer?  I fear not, if this is vip service i pity the ordinary customers. Please please someone at sky get a grip of this and sort my problem.  I am sick and tired of running online tests, trying different phones etc.  Its a phone for gods sake hardly  cutting edge tech.  Why are the sky experts unable or unwilling to sort this out?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@rugbymalc  You are talking to other customers, any faults on the Network are the responsibility of Openreach,  the fault could be anywhere so not a easy as you seem to think it it is.

A Sky employee has advised it is with Openreach to fix.

You may be entitled to compensation once the fault is fixed as per this link https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

rugbymalc
Topic Author

And openreach told me it was a problem with sky equipment at the exchange.  Leaving me stuck in the middle with a fault..... 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@rugbymalc wrote:

And openreach told me it was a problem with sky equipment at the exchange.  Leaving me stuck in the middle with a fault..... 

...which both Sky and Openreach are aware of, so it will be fixed without further intervention.

rugbymalc
Topic Author

Hpoe you are right.

This message was authored by adelphiaUK This message was authored by: adelphiaUK

Did this ever get resolved? My Mum has EXACTLY this same issue. Did it turn out to be a Sky or Openreach issue? 

My Mum relies on an alarm in case of falls or accidents but right now she is worried this won't work. Who do we call / contact to get this resolved?

adelphiaUK
Sky Q (2TB): retired but still helping Mum along
Sky Broadband Superfast: retired but still helping Mum along
Sky Mobile: retired but still helping Mum along
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@adelphiaUK wrote:

Did this ever get resolved? My Mum has EXACTLY this same issue. Did it turn out to be a Sky or Openreach issue? 

My Mum relies on an alarm in case of falls or accidents but right now she is worried this won't work. Who do we call / contact to get this resolved?

If Sky is your Mum's landline provider, it's Sky she needs to contact. They'll talk to Openreach, if the fault is outside your Mum's home.

This message was authored by adelphiaUK This message was authored by: adelphiaUK

Thanks. An engineer has been booked.

adelphiaUK
Sky Q (2TB): retired but still helping Mum along
Sky Broadband Superfast: retired but still helping Mum along
Sky Mobile: retired but still helping Mum along
This message was authored by Giorgio2 This message was authored by: Giorgio2

Did you ever get this fixed? I bet you didn't!! I have been dealing with my own landline issues for over a year now. I have lost count of how many line tests I've had, how many phone calls I've had to make and how many engineers have been round doing the same damn thing. This weekend just gone, my landine AND my mobile were dead. Turned out it was the whole area, not just me. There is at least one mobile number I cannot call from landline or mobile - lucky I have Whatsapp!! I have had all sorts of faults like people from Holland not being able to call me or vice versa, sound cutting in and out, feedback, calls disconnecting, the list goes on. I'm fed up with it. After this length of time I can only deduce that no one knows how the system works any more - it is just far too complicated. I grew up with the old analogue phones. I swear - they NEVER broke down. We had the same phone about 20 years until the new systems came out. What makes it worse, is that customer service do line tests and tell you rubbish like, 'there's nothing wrong'. Sometime, everything seems fixed but, a week later, the fault reappears or a totally different one crops up. Right now I am expecting a support call in a couple of weeks to see how things are going. I'm starting to know what to expect. Maybe it's not specifically Sky's fault, but they are promising a service which we are not getting any more. It is just unacceptable. Why should I have to mention compensation? It should be volunteered as a matter of course.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion