Discussion topic: Landline connection suddenly failed for no obvious reason

This message was authored by Libbers This message was authored by: Libbers

Landline connection suddenly failed for no obvious reason

Hi 

On Wednesday morning I found I suddenly had no dialling tone on my landline and a message on all handsets said CHECK PHONE LINE. When calling my number I got an engaged tone for three rings and then the call automatically ended. My Superfast Broadband still worked fine. I tested the signal and the speeds were as expected. The sky website showed that there were no problems in my area. 

I followed the advice on the sky website dialogue, including plugging the phone directly into the main wall socket etc, but no change. I got in touch with a sky engineer on Wednesday afternoon via a 0333 759 xxxx number given on the website. After making some checks the agent told me that the problem  would need to raised with BT Openreach. Having checked the status of my service request in MY ORDERS as suggested,  there is no update three days later. The only info there suggests that a sky engineer has been booked for an installation... This seems like a default message. 

As of today, I still have no line and there is no longer any engaged tone - calling my number now makes no connection at all.  I've tried today to contact BT Openreach directly via their 61998 Text service but the automatic reply is as I pay my bills via sky they can offer no help.

Can anyone advise how this service / repair should be handled? I'm just left without a line and have no idea when i can expect any resolution to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Landline connection suddenly failed for no obvious reason

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Libbers 

Openreach is specifically forbidden from providing BT with 'better' support than competing ISPs: there's a department within Ofcom dedicated to monitoring this.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

If this was reported to Openreach on Wednesday then as they aim to repair such faults within 3-5 working days so the weekend is not included in this so hopefully all being well they will fix it from Omday onwards for you,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Libbers
Topic Author

@caesarome Thanks for explaining. 48 hours had been mentioned but I guess I just have to wait, before chasing this.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Libbers wrote:

48 hours had been mentioned 

The Openreach target is end of the second working day starting the next working day morning after a fault is logged by an ISP.

Unfortunately once call centre opening times and weekends are factored in that does mean '48 hours' can turn into the best part of a week depending on when the subscriber contacts their provider (and Openreach report actually meeting this target for around 85% of faults).

Libbers
Topic Author

Thanks for this. I guess I just have to wait, Openreach have my mobile number. Do you know if the response time have been better if I was a BT customer?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Libbers 

Openreach is specifically forbidden from providing BT with 'better' support than competing ISPs: there's a department within Ofcom dedicated to monitoring this.

Libbers
Topic Author

@caesarome @TimmyBGood - well, this morning my landline just as suddenly started working again as when it stopped last Wednesday. I appreciate your advice to be patient 🙂 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion