Discussion topic: I have a new phone number it is not listed how did scammer get hold of my number

This message was authored by Ildibobs01 This message was authored by: Ildibobs01

I have a new phone number it is not listed how did scammer get hold of my number

I am new to Sky. I had broadband fitted yesterday and already had scam calls to my home phone. How did the scammers find my number which is not listed? How did they know I was with Sky? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: I have a new phone number it is not listed how did scammer get hold of my number

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ildibobs01 

Probably guesswork by a scammer. You could investigate Sky Talk Shield to hopefully prevent a reoccurrence 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-shield-start  

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: I have a new phone number it is not listed how did scammer get hold of my number

@Ildibobs01 scammers don't need to find your number. They use an auto dialler to dial every number in a sequence to see if any of them pick up. They have no idea who you are.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ildibobs01 

And  running a computerized autodialer using VOIP to make the calls has essentially zero cost: depending on the point of origin it may not be illegal either.

That a particular number is on use by a subscriber to a particular ISP or telco isn't itself personally identifying information as it has no other details attached: databases get circulated internationally to permit cross-billing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

As mentioned above, enable Sky Talk Shield.
It works very effectively with the scam calls. 

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion