Discussion topic: Digital voice adapters.

This message was authored by dcoppard This message was authored by: dcoppard

Digital voice adapters.

I currently have FTTC fibre with Sky and am shortly to be upgraded to FTTP. I currently have a corded phone which I understand has to be plugged into the router to enable phone calls after my switch over.

I notice that BT with their FTTP routers offer a device called a digital voice adapter which you can pair with the router and then plug into a power socket near your corded phone and then plug your phone into the adapter. This would be much more convenient as we dont want to move the phone but I can see no mention of this being available through Sky fibre. An added advantage is that with the BT version you can have multiple adapters placed in other locations so you do not lose any additional extensions.

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible with the Sky Router when converting to FTTP.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123 Answer

Re: Digital voice adapters.

The BT Digital Voice adapters will only work with BT's Smart Hub 2 and Digital Voice service. They connect to the BT Smart Hub 2 via the built in DECT reciever and coded specifically for that and BT Digital Voice configuration and service.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'm.not aware of Sky providing anything similar. A cordless phone might provide a suitable alternative.

dcoppard
Topic Author

Yes that is an alternative using a cordless phone although my wife is hard of hearing and our existing phone has an amplifier which she finds usefull.

I notice that you can buy the digital voice adapters on Amazon or direct from BT for about £15 so it might be worth getting one and seeing if it works with the Sky kit. If it does I'll let you know.

@dcoppard wrote:

I notice that you can buy the digital voice adapters on Amazon or direct from BT for about £15 so it might be worth getting one and seeing if it works with the Sky kit. If it does I'll let you know.

I did wonder about that after reading your first post. I don't know whether or not it would work with Sky. Yes please do let us know, if you decide to buy one.

This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123 Answer

The BT Digital Voice adapters will only work with BT's Smart Hub 2 and Digital Voice service. They connect to the BT Smart Hub 2 via the built in DECT reciever and coded specifically for that and BT Digital Voice configuration and service.

dcoppard
Topic Author

Thanks for letting me know that. A bit disappointing that Sky can't supply something similar as looking at the number of threads about this on this site there appear to be a number of others who would benefit from such a device. 

This message was authored by OliveOyl This message was authored by: OliveOyl

Hi did you find an answer that works without having to purchase new phones. We are moving from BT and had the adaptor as the router is in a cupboard under the stairs, it means we can leave the phone in the living room. Thanks

dcoppard
Topic Author

No I haven't found anything compatable with the BT system. 

The only part solution I found was it appears you can still use a normal phone extension cable as I plugged one into the router and connected the phone over the other side of the room and it appears to work ok but I will need to have it fixed under the floor for tidyness and avoid a trip hazard.

This message was authored by OliveOyl This message was authored by: OliveOyl

Ah ok not ideal but better than nothing unfortunately due to location of cupboard vs living room I'm not sure that would work for us, dang, back to the drawing board 

This message was authored by Strasz This message was authored by: Strasz

I bought a BT Digital Voice Adapter after switching to SKY Business Broadband which includes digital VOIP.

It doesn't work - it just will not pair (using WPS) with the SKY router.

It would be crazy for every ISP to have to provide their own device so surprised there isn't a generic adapter.

@Strasz wrote:

I bought a BT Digital Voice Adapter after switching to SKY Business Broadband which includes digital VOIP.

It doesn't work - it just will not pair (using WPS) with the SKY router.

That's right - it won't work, I'm afraid. See the post below.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Strasz wrote:

It would be crazy for every ISP to have to provide their own device

Only BT has such hardware because of all the ISPs only BT has a heritage with telephone design, specification, manufacture and supply going back a century.  Other entrants to the ISP market quickly learnt that this was not an area they wished to be in, and so you don't find them offering landline phone handsets or accessories at all.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion