Discussion topic: Using SKY+ in a Static Caravan

This message was authored by Glossopboy This message was authored by: Glossopboy

Using SKY+ in a Static Caravan

We have just bought a static caravan. At home we have SKY+ multi-room. I really cannot afford to take out another SKY+ subscription.

I understand that should we have a SKY dish attached to the caravan, then we cannot just take one of the viewing cards from home and put into a SKY+ box in the caravan as it wouldn't work as it is paired with the original box.

However, if we were to take the whole box (and card) and connect that in the caravan would that work? If yes, are there any downsides to doing this (apart from the obvious of disconnecting and reconnecting hassle)?

Are there any other ideas that people can think of? I was thinking of using SKY Go but couldn't work out how to show this on a TV big enough for the family to see as opposed to my iPad.

Many thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Using SKY+ in a Static Caravan

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It is a breach of Skys Terms & Conditions to use the viewing card at any property other than that of where the account is registered

You would need a second account

There are apps for games consoles that are the easiest way to get Sky Go content on a TV

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

It is a breach of Skys Terms & Conditions to use the viewing card at any property other than that of where the account is registered

You would need a second account

There are apps for games consoles that are the easiest way to get Sky Go content on a TV

Glossopboy
Topic Author
This message was authored by Glossopboy This message was authored by: Glossopboy

I didn't know it was a breach of the T&C's so thanks for the heads up.

Will investigate the apps suggestion instead.

Cheers

This message was authored by brian27454 This message was authored by: brian27454

@Glossopboy Why is it a breach, its in your name, the address shouldn't matter. You can't use it at both addresses if you take the box with you can you? We have just purchased a caravan and looking into how we can receive sky. Its just another money grabbing scam. We have been with sky for 17 year and paid on average £100 p.m. So if you can suggest anything please do

Regards

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Simplest solution is to use the Sky Go app and get a cable that connects your mobile device, be it a phone, iPad, tablet or laptop to the TV in your caravan via HDMI. 

You can get various cables on Amazon or eBay which have either a lightning or USB-C connector at one end and HDMI at the other to connect to a phone/tablet. Many laptops have HDMI ports built in so a standard HDMI cable will suffice in that case. 

You basically mirror the phone/tablet/laptop screen to the TV, open Sky Go and you're away. 

The quality isn't great but you're unlikely to have a 65" OLED in a caravan aren't you?

In all these cases you'll obviously need some sort of internet connection to the mobile device, as you'll be streaming the content on Sky Go. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@SlenderRobert wrote:

Simplest solution is to use the Sky Go app and get a cable that connects your mobile device, be it a phone, iPad, tablet or laptop to the TV in your caravan via HDMI. 

Whilist a laptop should work other devices like a phone, tablet or laptop will see the HDMI option blocked due to right restrictions so wouldn't work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@brian27454 wrote:

Why is it a breach, its in your name, the address shouldn't matter. You can't use it at both addresses if you take the box with you can you? We have just purchased a caravan and looking into how we can receive sky.

It's a breach because it's specifically not permitted in the contract T&Cs (which actually refer to the viewing card rather than the Sky box).  Strictly speaking the box can move (because you own it) but services associated with the Sky subscription are not 'portable'.

4.4. You must only use the Viewing Card for private viewing purposes. You must not use it for any commercial or business purpose or in any premises other than your address.

Address: the address of your home in the UK or Republic of Ireland that you notify to us from time to time

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by brian27454 This message was authored by: brian27454

So, if I change the address of the viewing card, I'm legal?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@brian27454 wrote:

Yes, providing your static caravan has a postal address you can change your Sky account accordingly. Obviously you wouldn't then be able to use your Sky box at your current address.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@brian27454 wrote:

If you register the address of a holiday home then you can use it there but you will be in breach of the T&Cs if you then use the box anywhere else (ie your non-holiday home)

@SlenderRobert Hi, I've tried casting from my phone at home but a message comes up saying this action is blocked. I mean, were gonna be staying at our caravan for at least 9 month I don't see why I should pay for two packages

@Mark39 Hi Mark, We will be at the caravan for at least 9 month so I don't see the point of having 2 packages

Sky Go is sky's service away from your main home, a cheap secondhand games console will give an easy way to get it on a TV

@Annie+UK Thanks for your reply but wouldn't know what to do with a games console

@brian27454 wrote:

@Annie+UK Thanks for your reply but wouldn't know what to do with a games console

If you can work a Sky box a games console app would not be too difficult

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion