Discussion topic: Sports channel not displaying in HD

This message was authored by cranfan This message was authored by: cranfan

Sports channel not displaying in HD

My Sky+ box has stopped displaying in HD on the subscription sports channel. The channel still works but no HD, so picture quality is poor.

HD still works if I view BBC, ITV etc channels through the Sky box. I don’t subscribe to the other Sky HD channels.

As understand it, Sky feeds the sports channels with HD included by default, so if I'm receiving the channel I should be getting HD.

I have rebooted the box several times without any improvement, so looking for any better suggestions?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sports channel not displaying in HD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Which channel? Not all broadcast in HD.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@cranfan Do the channel names say HD on the info bar (note that the on screen graphic hasn't said HD for a long time).

Assuming you're referring to channels 401-409 what happens on channels 859-867? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

FYI Sky Sports Mix is SD by default unless you have the entertainment hd add on

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
cranfan
Topic Author

Thanks for the responses.

I have been looking at cricket channel 862 which has been set up in my favourites for a long time. Presumably I should be looking at 404 to receive HD. I have just bought a new TV with HD, my previous TV did not have it, so I didn't know any different.

I will check all is okay at the weekend and post here.

I also receive BT Sports through the Sky dish. Do I need to move to different channels for HD with that as well? I presume this will still come in HD even though I don't subscribe to Sky HD.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@cranfan wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

I have been looking at cricket channel 862 which has been set up in my favourites for a long time. Presumably I should be looking at 404 to receive HD. I have just bought a new TV with HD, my previous TV did not have it, so I didn't know any different.

I will check all is okay at the weekend and post here.

I also receive BT Sports through the Sky dish. Do I need to move to different channels for HD with that as well? I presume this will still come in HD even though I don't subscribe to Sky HD.

@cranfan Yes, the Sky Sports HD channels are in the 400's and should look a lot better than the SD channels in the 800's.

Not sure about BT Sport as I don't subscribe. On my EPG, therefore, BT Sport HD channels are 870, 871 and the SD channels are 413, 414. If you get the HD channels with your subscription, I would expect them to be the opposite way round on your EPG. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
cranfan
Topic Author

I can confirm my Sky Sports 404 cricket channel is correctly displaying in HD.

With regard to BT Sport through the dish, it works on the channel without HD, but if I select the HD channel it's asking me to use the Red Button which will presumably take me to some sort of subscription upgrade with Sky? If I watch BT Sport on the web the picture quality is very good, almost certainly in HD, so I doubt it has to do with my BT package. Maybe I need the Sky HD subscription?

@cranfan wrote:

I can confirm my Sky Sports 404 cricket channel is correctly displaying in HD.

With regard to BT Sport through the dish, it works on the channel without HD, but if I select the HD channel it's asking me to use the Red Button which will presumably take me to some sort of subscription upgrade with Sky? If I watch BT Sport on the web the picture quality is very good, almost certainly in HD, so I doubt it has to do with my BT package. Maybe I need the Sky HD subscription?

@cranfan  if you pay sky directly for bt sports hd is standard same as sky sports, however if you pay bt directly for it through sky you need to add the sport hd add on to your bt account

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

cranfan
Topic Author

Thanks.

If I place an order with BT for the Add-On it comes up as zero cost and says "FREE for the first 3 months".
Any idea what the cost is after 3 months?

I appreciate this is more a BT question. I have asked it there as well.

@cranfan wrote:

Thanks.

If I place an order with BT for the Add-On it comes up as zero cost and says "FREE for the first 3 months".
Any idea what the cost is after 3 months?

I appreciate this is more a BT question. I have asked it there as well.

@cranfan  current advertised price on bt site is £6.50pm extra 

cranfan
Topic Author

Thanks.

I can't find that, any chance you could post a link?

@cranfan wrote:

Thanks.

I can't find that, any chance you could post a link?

@cranfan 

https://www.bt.com/sport/sky 

Image will appear once approved 

23A948C2-BC47-4E5F-B95D-D51D168858EF.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion