Discussion topic: Sound keeps going out of sync

This message was authored by simon30301 This message was authored by: simon30301

Sound keeps going out of sync

We have a 6 year old HD+ plus box, and recently the sound loses sync with the pictures. It does not happen on any particular channel.

We have followed all the instructions about turning the box off, waiting etc., but it still happens annoyingly regularly.

If we turn off the box and wait, it can happen again even after only a few minutes.

We have also done a full reboot to rebuild the Guide, as this was found as a possible solution, but only temporary. 

Any ideas would be gratefully received. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sound keeps going out of sync

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is your Sky box directly connected to your tv by an HDMI cable?

simon30301
Topic Author
This message was authored by simon30301 This message was authored by: simon30301

Hi, yes it is... Does that make a difference? 

Yes, but only if it's not!

Check your Sound settings - the Digital Audio Output over HDMI setting should be Normal, not DolbyD.

If that's not the cause, I'm stumped, I'm afraid.

Edited to add: also check there are no sound processing/effect options turned on in your TV settings.

simon30301
Topic Author

Hi Mark,

Just checked the settings, and it is as you suggested on HDMI - Normal.

There are no sound effects etc. on the TV settings either.

This is an intermittent problem, and is even happens part way through watching recordings, and can be rectified by turning the box off, leaving it maybe 2 mins, then turning it back on.

It's stumped us, as it is so intermittent, and not on any particular channel.

Appreciate your help, anyway!

This message was authored by MattSwe This message was authored by: MattSwe

Did you manage to solve this ? I have a similar problem.

Just bought a Samsung Q80b TV and never had problem with previous Sony TV. The Sky + box is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. I'm using the TV speakers with no soundbar. If I view TV through iplayer / ITV X /  Prime / Blue Ray then there are no issues. It only affects Sky viewing and sometimes the sync is ok and sometimes it isn't. Very frustrating at the moment as I can't quite find the cure and sure there is a fix somewhere. 

@MattSwe have you tried the suggestions already made?

simon30301
Topic Author

Hi,

No, our problem is still there, very intermittent, and very like yours, only appears when watching via the Sky box; no issues on Free view etc.

The weird thing is that it also happens during the watching of a recording, which is also cured by turning off the Skybox and turning it back on. How mad is that!

I wondered whether it is a tech issue with the Skybox itself, between the sound chip/card and the motherboard,  not that I'm techy really, but as it doesn't happen using other viewing methods it sort of points towards the box. I've not spoken to Sky, as my guess is they will want to send an expensive engineer and its not really an issue, just a bit annoying.  Good luck with yours...

This message was authored by Goji-Berry This message was authored by: Goji-Berry

I have the same issue but if you go up or down one channel, and then reselect the original channel, I find that the sync issues are fixed. 

simon30301
Topic Author

OK, thanks for this... We'll give it a try...

This message was authored by mezo123 This message was authored by: mezo123

my sky+ box does this too, as others say either changing channel or simply pause and play  live tv will fix it for a short while

This message was authored by Pierre04 This message was authored by: Pierre04

We have the same issue, going up or down a station unfortunately doesn't fix it. Ours is also intermittent but probably daily.

This message was authored by mezo123 This message was authored by: mezo123

Just binned all my ancient sky+ boxes and gone over to sky stream - very happy with the new little pucks, so my sync issue has been solved the easy way..

This message was authored by DavidDJO This message was authored by: DavidDJO

This has just happened for the first time and I resolved the problem by switching the tv/sky box off at the mains, waiting 10 minutes and turning back on.  All back to normal.

simon30301
Topic Author

That's what we have to do every time it happens. Blooming annoying, it's irregular, and the weird thing is, it happens with live transmissions and recordings ...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion