Discussion topic: Sky TV in more than one room with Sky +

This message was authored by custard+tart This message was authored by: custard+tart

Sky TV in more than one room with Sky +

I'm novice with this so apologies if it's a daft question, but I had my house rewired and the electricians have fitted line in sockets for satellite in a couple of rooms, with a double one in the living room. I have a Sky + box and am watching it in a room using the single socket (while I wait to finish living room decoration).  So when I'm back in the living room I will plug into the double wall connectors, but what about the other rooms. So questions are - Are all the satellite sockets linked to the sky dish via the new wiring  and if so, do I still need a sky box in each room to receive the signal via these lines? OR Is there another way to link to other TVs? Why does one room, my living room, have a double satellite socket? Thanks for any advice - couldn't find answers online or in sky community. 

All Replies

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: Sky TV in more than one room with Sky +

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@custard+tart wrote:

I'm novice with this so apologies if it's a daft question, but I had my house rewired and the electricians have fitted line in sockets for satellite in a couple of rooms, with a double one in the living room. I have a Sky + box and am watching it in a room using the single socket (while I wait to finish living room decoration).  So when I'm back in the living room I will plug into the double wall connectors, but what about the other rooms. So questions are - Are all the satellite sockets linked to the sky dish via the new wiring  and if so, do I still need a sky box in each room to receive the signal via these lines? OR Is there another way to link to other TVs? Why does one room, my living room, have a double satellite socket? Thanks for any advice - couldn't find answers online or in sky community. 

Hi @custard+tart

Firstly, do you have your own satellite dish or are you on a communal dish system ? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@custard+tart wrote:

Are all the satellite sockets linked to the sky dish via the new wiring  and if so, do I still need a sky box in each room to receive the signal via these lines? OR Is there another way to link to other TVs? Why does one room, my living room, have a double satellite socket?

It depends how the electricians have wired them up, so ultimately these are questions for them. The likelihood is that they are indeed connected to the dish. To make use of them, you would need to connect a Sky box to each of the sockets. Historically a a secondary (Multiscreen) Sky box required only a single connection to the dish and had less functionality than the main Sky box.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@custard+tart wrote:

Are all the satellite sockets linked to the sky dish via the new wiring  and if so, do I still need a sky box in each room to receive the signal via these lines? OR Is there another way to link to other TVs? Why does one room, my living room, have a double satellite socket?

Possibly the cabling has been set up for RF distribution from a main Sky+ box direct to a television in another room, but this is increasingly obsolete, particularly as most modern televisions no longer host an analogue tuner which can receive the signal (and Sky Q has no RF output option)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion