Discussion topic: Sky Plus +HD with Vodafone WiFi Hub

This message was authored by daddybear14 This message was authored by: daddybear14

Sky Plus +HD with Vodafone WiFi Hub

Good Afternoon,

I have an ageing Sky Plus + HD box which functions well and has a permanent landline telephone connected - as required by the equipment.

I am considering upgrading my broadband supplier to the Vodafone Fibre 1 package but I am told by their customer service that this system uses a Digital Voice telephone connection in which the supplied WiFi Hub (router?)  is directly connected to the incoming landline supply and then the main  phone receiver is plugged into that router via some sort of adapter. The main phone doesn't connect directly to the supply.

I can see clearly how this will be done on the telephone side, but have been unable to confirm that the Sky Box will have to be plugged permanently into the router as well and, if so, how - again via an adapter?

Will it then  interfere with the telephone reception ?

This is completely new ground for me so I would appreciate any advice available relating to my confusion!!

Regards,

Daddybear

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Sky Plus +HD with Vodafone WiFi Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@daddybear14 you might be relieved to know that the requirement for your Sky box to be connected to your landline was dropped several years ago  (from memory, I believe it was only required for the first year anyway).

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

@daddybear14 you might be relieved to know that the requirement for your Sky box to be connected to your landline was dropped several years ago  (from memory, I believe it was only required for the first year anyway).

daddybear14
Topic Author
This message was authored by daddybear14 This message was authored by: daddybear14

Thanks  @Mark39 - I didn't know that.

Just shows how long I've had the box!!  Still doing what I want though.

daddybear14

This message was authored by derbo This message was authored by: derbo

I'm presuming that the sky box will still receive the line to continue to function those features, with the new set up? I 'm going through the same process, soon.

This message was authored by derbo This message was authored by: derbo

I'm going through the same upgrade, and as it is now, the skyhd box says the telephone landline is connected, but will it be lost when I upgrade or does it need an adaptor or not required? Not sure what  was meant by the requirements.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

A landline connection for Sky+ has not been required for well over 10 years now 🙂

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@derbo 

The final models of Sky+ HD dropped the modem hardware entirely: as @Annie+UK indicates, the widespread adoption of ADSL and then FTTC broadband made that form of 'interactive service' obsolete.  

The historic 'requirement' was that a Sky+ box be connected to a phone line in order to qualify for a reduced purchase price: the theory being that Sky could harvest telemetry about viewer behaviour overnight using a dial-up connection and so subsidise hardware cost by selling this information.  Broadband/WiFi makes this unnecessary as any hardware connected that way is always in communication with Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@derbo 

Late model Sky+ HD hardware and all Q boxes use WiFi or ethernet connected to broadband for all services except live EPG television delivered over the satellite dish.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion