Discussion topic: SKY + software enhancements

This message was authored by stevet987 This message was authored by: stevet987

SKY + software enhancements

I received an email saying that my Sky+ HD Box would no longer be receiving software enhancements and that I was being offered a free upgrade to Sky Q. We are very happy with Sky+ HD, have a lot of recordings and also have Freesat in another room connected to the dish. I have a lot of questions

1) What are the downsides of not accepting the offer?

2) How soon will the Sky + HD service deteriorate without software enhancements and will it become unusable?

3) How long is the free offer open for?

4) Can I upgrade to Sky Q and keep the Freesat connection for the other TV?

5) If I upgrade to Sky Q, can I connect the old Sky+ HD Box to a separate TV and watch the recordings?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: SKY + software enhancements

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@stevet987 wrote:

I received an email saying that my Sky+HDD Box would no longer be receiving software enhancements and that I was being offered a free upgrade to Sky Q. We are very happy with Sky+HDD, have a lot of recordings and also haveFreesatt in another room connected to the dish. I have a lot of questions

The hard disk will eventually fail. Diminishing support for Sky+ equipment. The offer may expire.

2) How soon will the Sky +HDD service deteriorate without software enhancements and will it become unusable?

There hasn't been any software upgrade for many months. It's unlikely to become unusable as a result of a lack of updates

I doubt Sky will say.

4) Can I upgrade to Sky Q and keep theFreesatt connection for the other TV?

You would need to request a hybrid LNB. I'm not sure that Sky still provide,them

5) If I upgrade to Sky Q, can I connect the old Sky+HDD Box to a separate TV and watch the recordings?

I'm afraid not.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

@stevet987 wrote:

I received an email saying that my Sky+HDD Box would no longer be receiving software enhancements and that I was being offered a free upgrade to Sky Q. We are very happy with Sky+HDD, have a lot of recordings and also haveFreesatt in another room connected to the dish. I have a lot of questions

The hard disk will eventually fail. Diminishing support for Sky+ equipment. The offer may expire.

2) How soon will the Sky +HDD service deteriorate without software enhancements and will it become unusable?

There hasn't been any software upgrade for many months. It's unlikely to become unusable as a result of a lack of updates

I doubt Sky will say.

4) Can I upgrade to Sky Q and keep theFreesatt connection for the other TV?

You would need to request a hybrid LNB. I'm not sure that Sky still provide,them

5) If I upgrade to Sky Q, can I connect the old Sky+HDD Box to a separate TV and watch the recordings?

I'm afraid not.

This message was authored by FastEddie1 This message was authored by: FastEddie1

I wouldnt expect Sky to end this offer of a free SkyQ box if they expect to keep our loyal custom.

And as with the Sky+ App, I expect the Sky+HD box will keep working, albeit with the (already reduced) functionality.

Sports fan
This message was authored by Help+Iain This message was authored by: Help+Iain

Sky+ TV box will no longer receive software enhancements

Will my Sky+ TV box eventually stop working if it no longer receives software enhancements

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky+ TV box will no longer receive software enhancements

That's unlikely. It's more likely to stop working because the hard drive fails. Even the latest Sky+HD boxes are at least 8 years and hard drives don't last indefinitely.

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

The core functionality (viewing and recording satellite broadcasts) should continue, but some of the additional services, like red button content on Sky Sports channels may well disappear - it's already gone for F1 and was never available for Sky Tennis.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky+ TV box will no longer receive software enhancements

@Help+Iain wrote:

if it no longer receives software enhancements

That's something of a red herring from Sky because there haven't been any 'software enhancements' for some years now (since the last GUI revision) and frankly there's no need for any: Sky+ will never get on-board apps, multiple recordings or UHD output, for example, because those are hardware functions.

We're assuming channel moves will continue to be reflected in the EPG, which is really the only relevant 'change'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion