Discussion topic: Remote slow to work on RF connection

This message was authored by matthew+lawrence This message was authored by: matthew+lawrence

Remote slow to work on RF connection

Basic information

All been fine for years, 

Multiple TV working on RF signal

TV amp/ distribution in loft

Sky box in remote location eg not next to TV 

Problem 

I am still getting a picture on the TV, in every room, the magic eye has the red light indicating power ( this could be from the amp in the loft) but need to check by moving a magic eye directly to the sky box.  The main issue is I can only get the remote to operate ie change channel intermittently.  Remote operates TV volume fine so remote is ok, also tried different remotes.  

I have looked at the cable connections all seem fine and they have not been touched so can't see why this could be the problem. 

Can any body recommend a test or series of tests to complete 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Remote slow to work on RF connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'm assuming this happens from all of the magic eyes, rather than just one. Logically that suggests a fault either with the amplified splitter, or with the cable between,the RF2 socket and the UHF input at the splitter, or (unlikely) a fault with your Sky box.

Testing with a magic eye directly connected to the RF2 socket would rule out a faulty Sky box. You could also directly connect one of the output cables from the splitter directly to the input cable, thereby bypassing,the splitter completely (make sure RF2 Output Power is turned on in your Sky box). If the problem goes away it would point to a splitter fault. If it's no different it suggests an issue with the RF2 to splitter cable.

matthew+lawrence
Topic Author
This message was authored by matthew+lawrence This message was authored by: matthew+lawrence

Many thanks and yes every magic eye is the same, tested a magic eye directly into sky box and problem went away, 

If there is a problem with either the cable or the splitter in the loft would this be a power problem as you are still getting pictures and just able to control. 

A bit more information,  it is intermittent I am leaning towards a bad connection but will need to do a bit of digging in the loft to get to cables.  

Ps many thanks for the response

@matthew+lawrence wrote:

If there is a problem with either the cable or the splitter in the loft would this be a power problem as you are still getting pictures and just able to control. 

Yes, it might be power related. The power supply only allows the remote control function. It has no part to play in relation to picture and sound You could disconnect the magic eye and plug the cable straight into the tv aerial socket and picture and sound would be just the same. 

Most amplified splitters (not passive splitters) provide their own power supply to the magic eyes, which is one reason why the splitter might be the cause. You can rule that out by bypassing the splitter as I previously mentioned. The magic eye would then be using the power provided by the RF2 socket.

matthew+lawrence
Topic Author

Been a while since the above was answered but to give you a update, 

All been tested and all works apart from the remote does not work straight away it's a slow response, this is only when through the majic eye when in front of the sky box it works every time. 

My thoughts are with the cable connections, the picture is fine, it's just turning the channel and using the sky options.  I am not sure on how to test the cable connections?? Any ideas appreciated.  

Many thanks

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Make sure you position the magic eye in a place where it does not get any RF interference from things like energy saving lightbulbs etc...

@matthew+lawrence in the tests you've carried out, did you try bypassing the amplified splitter? I'd lean towards thay being the problem before cabling.

matthew+lawrence
Topic Author

the only thing that i have added around the poistion of the TV is a Amazon firstick, i dont think this would cause any interferance but i will try and move the eye further away from this poistion. 

many thanks 

matt 

matthew+lawrence
Topic Author

Mark39.

I am trying to work my way around the system logically.

Sky dish provided 2 cables to back of sky box, out of the back of the sky box 1 cable (RF2) then goes into loft space to powered booster/splitter- this is then sent around the house to all the TVs.

The booster/splitter in the loft is powered, the power light is on, when unplugged I lose all signal around the house. The sky box lives in a cupboard separately from everything but I moved a TV to its position and looped a cable into this bypassing to complete system, this all worked fine. then connect the RF2 socket and mouse and all worked fine. This confirms sky box is operating correctly??

Its only when it goes through the booster/splitter around the house there a problem, I am not sure how to test this any further, I know there is a power requirement to operate through the mouse and this seems to being sent, but not sure if there is a way of testing the power through the line/cable before the booster/splitter then after to the socket in the wall and then to the mouse.

Any further advise much appreciated.

@matthew+lawrence wrote:

...but I moved a TV to its position and looped a cable into this bypassing to complete system, this all worked fine. then connect the RF2 socket and mouse and all worked fine. This confirms sky box is operating correctly??
Yes, it's a good test. It eliminates the Sky box as a possible cause, and demonstrates that the magic eye is functioning correctly.

...if there is a way of testing the power through the line/cable before the booster/splitter then after to the socket in the wall and then to the mouse.

Yes, by bypassing the splitter completely as I mentioned before. To expand on that - unplug the cable which comes from the RF2 socket and is currently plugged into the splitter INPUT socket.

Then unplug a cable from one of the splitter's OUTPUT sockets  it doesn't matter which one.

Join the two unplugged cables together - you may need a simple coupler if they're coax connectors, or a barrel connector if they're F-plugs.

That gives you an end to end direct connection from the RF2 socket to one of the magic eyes. Then check that RF2 Output Power is turned on in the Installer Menu of your Sky box settings, so that the magic eye is powered by your Sky box. Now, the splitter is completely bypassed.

All you need to do then is find the magic eye with the lit power LED and test it. If it works normally, you know the splitter is the cause of the problem.

Or you could avoid the faff and hope the splitter is the cause and just replace it.

matthew+lawrence
Topic Author

Mark,

Many thanks I just did as you suggested and bought a new booster, amm fitted and installed and now works completely fine.  Just proves that just because the light is on does not mean it's working.  Wish I new a bit more about electronics as I would tale it apart and try to diagnose the broken part in the machine.  I hate the through away a part but sometimes it just makes sense.  Once again many thanks.  Matt 

I'd have done the same. I don't like throwing away electrical devices either.- there's always a niggling thought that it might have been possible to fix it, but sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. Glad you're up and running again.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion