Discussion topic: Problem with Recordings and their play back

This message was authored by MichaelBere This message was authored by: MichaelBere

Problem with Recordings and their play back

Have a 2TB Sky + HD box since February 2014. With multitude of recordings.

Recently having a problem with Recordings and their play back.

Watching live is fine, no problem.

Recordings and their Play Back - A number of seemingly random problems:

(i) For some recordings, even though recording red light is on, when finished it shows Failed Technical Fault – 10 (0), or similar. Cannot play it back.

(ii) Even when recording is seemingly OK, when playing back, it freezes, sometimes multiple times. Fast forwarding sometimes moves it on to play again. But other times have to go back and enter later play times. Can subsequently re-freeze.

Is there anything I can do to address these problems, without losing current (many!) recordings?

Some years ago had to do a complete system reset to deal with Diskless Mode problem, losing all recordings in the process.

If I have to do a complete system reset again, does this in effect “reformat” the Sky box hard disk and set aside any bad corrupted disk sectors?

Thank you very much for your guidance.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Problem with Recordings and their play back

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sounds to me that the HDD is failing and the best fix is to totally replace the box or upgrade to Sky Q

MichaelBere
Topic Author
This message was authored by MichaelBere This message was authored by: MichaelBere

Thanks Annie.

You say “totally replace the box or upgrade to Sky Q”.

Can it be replaced with another Sky+ box?

Or is the only available box nowadays a Sky Q one?

I still have the old Sky+ HD box that was replaced (for extra capacity & not due to a fault) in 2014. Has a capacity of a couple hundred MBs.

As a stop-gap, can that older box be substituted for my current faulty one?

Is this something I can do myself, without the need for a Sky Engineer?

By just transferring the Viewing Card from current box to the other?

Thanks again.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

You can replace your box for any Sky+ box that is compatible with your dishes LNB, see my Sky+ FAQ for instructions on how to pair your viewing card to the replacement box

MichaelBere
Topic Author

Thanks Annie.

I found it under Q 21. How do you perform a New Install?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@MichaelBere  For a new install press services on remote key in 001 and press select in very quick succession that should bring up the engineer menu scroll across to new install

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
MichaelBere
Topic Author

SKY1992bf  Thanks for that.

Will try alternate box as soon as I get a chance. 

MichaelBere
Topic Author

Hello again.

Another related query please.

Analogous to a Laptop HDD, is it possible to reformat the HDD in my current 2 TB box (accepting that all recordings would be lost in the process)?  

With the objective of getting the box working satisfactorily again, after possibly setting aside any bad/corrupt sectors in the HDD to prevent recording over them?

Thanks & we appreciate your advice.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@MichaelBere a system reset affectively does that. Obviously you'll lose all your current recordings. The option is in the same menu as @SKY1992bf mentioned. It might restore normal working, but possibly only temporarily if the disk is on its way out.

MichaelBere
Topic Author

That's grand.   Thanks Mark39

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@MichaelBere wrote:

That's grand.   Thanks Mark39

Bear in mind the hard drive is at least 8 years old, so is already probably past the designed lifetime and so stands a good chance of failing soon.

MichaelBere
Topic Author

Yes rscott, it's probably only a matter of time before that happens. 

Will see how we get on!

Thnaks again. 

This message was authored by CB11 This message was authored by: CB11

Can I have a number to call pleaseRe: Problem with Recordings and their play back

Can I have a number to call please

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Can I have a number to call pleaseRe: Problem with Recordings and their play back

@CB11 wrote:

Can I have a number to call please

You can find the number (the forum disallows posting them) via the 'need more help' link here: https://www.sky.com/help/home

Or can the Community here help?

Bear in mind that Sky no longer replace Sky+ boxes, and don't provide engineer support for them unless you have Sky Protect.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion