Discussion topic: On screen error message ‘check device power’

This message was authored by Mags08 This message was authored by: Mags08

On screen error message ‘check device power’

Over the last couple of weeks I am constantly receiving the on screen error message 'check device power'. If I reboot the system I can reset and get access to sky channels but once I turn off using my remote the error message comes up again!  It's driving me mad!  Any suggestions on how to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated.   
I have been a sky customer for some time so have done all the usual things like checking viewing card etc.  

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: On screen error message ‘check device power’

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mags08 wrote:

Over the last couple of weeks I am constantly receiving the on screen error message 'check device power'. If I reboot the system I can reset and get access to sky channels but once I turn off using my remote the error message comes up again...

The fact that the message appears after you've turned off your Sky box can only mean it's coming from your tv. Check your tv manual for why it appears.

I've never heard of this message before in more than 10 years on the forum.

Edited to add: thinking about it further, I wonder if it's related to your tv's HDMI-CEC function. Try turning HDMI-CEC off in your tv settings. Or try turning off HDMI Control in your Sky box settings.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

It doesn't sound like a message from your Sky box. Try your TV manual.

Mags08
Topic Author

It is definitely a sky problem as the TV is on and works fine without the sky channels.  The on screen message gives a 'power on' button for my sky box but using this does not switch the box on or solve my problem. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

@Mags08 wrote:

Over the last couple of weeks I am constantly receiving the on screen error message 'check device power'. If I reboot the system I can reset and get access to sky channels but once I turn off using my remote the error message comes up again...

The fact that the message appears after you've turned off your Sky box can only mean it's coming from your tv. Check your tv manual for why it appears.

I've never heard of this message before in more than 10 years on the forum.

Edited to add: thinking about it further, I wonder if it's related to your tv's HDMI-CEC function. Try turning HDMI-CEC off in your tv settings. Or try turning off HDMI Control in your Sky box settings.

Mags08
Topic Author

924071B6-0B86-47CD-97B3-CFDCA1F27FE4.jpeg

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Mags08  That is your TV giving you that message as advised 3 times already, it is telling you that the Sky+ box is not powered on.  What happens when you power on the Sky + box?  The message goes away right?  And you get an image from your Sky+ box?

To remove that message use your TV's remote to change input or to power it off if your not usingt it.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Mags08
Topic Author

The sky box is on (with green light showing) whilst this message is on screen, the only way to clear is to turn off at the plug and reboot.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Mags08  Turn what off? the Sky+ box?  If so it sounds like the Sky+ box is intermittently having a HDMI handshake problem with the TV.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Try a new HDMI cable and/or move the sky box to another HDMI socket on the TV

This message was authored by KatherineJoanne This message was authored by: KatherineJoanne

I have the exact same issue. Only started happening a few weeks ago - now happens 75%+ of the time I turn on the system. 

Something has changed here between @Sky and Samsung TV

@KatherineJoanne wrote:

I have the exact same issue. Only started happening a few weeks ago - now happens 75%+ of the time I turn on the system. 

Something has changed here between @Sky and Samsung TV

No update from Sky.

This message was authored by KatherineJoanne This message was authored by: KatherineJoanne

Tried turning off the HDMI-CEC on Samsung Smart TV and seems to have cured the problem. No idea what joys are to come now I have deactivated whatever HDMI-CEC is though.. seems to be bugging the sound bar 😳

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@KatherineJoanne wrote:

Tried turning off the HDMI-CEC on Samsung Smart TV and seems to have cured the problem. No idea what joys are to come now I have deactivated whatever HDMI-CEC is though.. seems to be bugging the sound bar 😳

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

@KatherineJoanne wrote:

It means that devices connected to the tv may not turn on or off automatically when you turn the tv on or off, so it should be just a minor inconvenience. 

This message was authored by danielburns This message was authored by: danielburns

I am having the same issue with my Samsung TV. I have had this about 2-3 weeks and each time I turn the tv off and it's off for at least a good few hours, when switched back on I have no signal to my sky q mini box. If I turn the box off and back on the TV connects back up.

it's tough to say if this is an issue with the TV or if it is the box....however I have seen this issue on various forums and it has always been Samsung...which is odd. If there were tons of faulty sky boxes or an update is needed you would think this would be happening to other brands as well. So my gut feeling is it's the TV!

I have changed various settings on the tv and the sky box and none have helped. I have switched HDMI ports, used different cables as well. I called Samsung and they suggested a factory reset. This seemed to fix things for about a week, but then it started happening again.

It is really frustrating but I have not seen or heard any suggestions that 100% work.

I have a sky engineer coming out (for something else but I will ask him about this issue) but I seriously think it is the TV...if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion