Discussion topic: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Thirly This message was authored by: Thirly

Re: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

I know a lot of you on this thread do not want to hear what I'm about to say but here goes anyway...

As I posted earlier in this thread, I am one of those who is effected by this issue. I also at that point was one of those who stubbornly didn't want to be "forced" to move to Sky Q. However, out of curiosity I decided to look into Sky Q which I had not done since about 2018 when I'd decided it would not bring me any benefit over my Sky+HD box - and it was much more expensive. This week I was shocked to see that I can now get everything on Sky Q that I currently have on Sky+HD plus a lot more and with all the bells and whistles that Sky Q has - for much less cost than I'm paying for Sky+HD. Prices of Sky Q packages have dropped considerably since I last looked in 2018 and it now has full On Demand and Catch Up of all major channels (for instance proper iplayer instead of the lesser catch up version on Sky+HD) and it has Netflix "Standard".  I currently pay £46 for Sky+HD, the exact same channels with all the extras Sky Q provides is less than £35.

While I don't mean for this to sound like an advert or mean to be rude to anyone, if you are just being stubborn for the sake of it (as I was), it may be worth you having another look. But while many of you are spending hours trying to fix this issue, I'm happily downloading again with the most up to date kit. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Thirly wrote:

I know a lot of you on this thread do not want to hear what I'm about to say but here goes anyway...

As I posted earlier in this thread, I am one of those who is effected by this issue. I also at that point was one of those who stubbornly didn't want to be "forced" to move to Sky Q. However, out of curiosity I decided to look into Sky Q which I had not done since about 2018 when I'd decided it would not bring me any benefit over my Sky+HD box - and it was much more expensive. This week I was shocked to see that I can now get everything on Sky Q that I currently have on Sky+HD plus a lot more and with all the bells and whistles that Sky Q has - for much less cost than I'm paying for Sky+HD. Prices of Sky Q packages have dropped considerably since I last looked in 2018 and it now has full On Demand and Catch Up of all major channels (for instance proper iplayer instead of the lesser catch up version on Sky+HD) and it has Netflix "Standard".  I currently pay £46 for Sky+HD, the exact same channels with all the extras Sky Q provides is less than £35.

While I don't mean for this to sound like an advert or mean to be rude to anyone, if you are just being stubborn for the sake of it (as I was), it may be worth you having another look. But while many of you are spending hours trying to fix this issue, I'm happily downloading again with the most up to date kit. 

Worth noting that Sky's TV Packages for satellite TV are one and the same whether you're hardware is Sky+ or Sky Q.

It's likely that you were given a bigger discount on your subscription for switching to Sky Q, hence the saving you are now seeing, but the base price of the packages are the same. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Kayelaina This message was authored by: Kayelaina

I have just had a response from Sky regarding my complaint.  "Currently there are no known issues with downloading content and they have not seen any other complaints regarding this issue from other customers.  They advise I speak to my IPS"

Unbelievable!

Whoops, sorry ISP.  Angry typing!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Thirly wrote:

it now has full On Demand and Catch Up of all major channels 

Note there's currently no ITVX app on Q, which is something of a sore point in that forum.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kayelaina wrote:

Whoops, sorry ISP.  

Which ISP is it?  This isn't insignificant: there are ongoing issues with some cellular broadband provision, for example.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Kayelaina wrote:

Whoops, sorry ISP.  

Which ISP is it?  This isn't insignificant: there are ongoing issues with some cellular broadband provision, for example.

@TimmyBGood The customers suffering from this issue seem to come from various ISP's including at least one who has Sky Broadband. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@TimmyBGood  it is Talk Talk.  I have called them over the weekend just to be 100% sure it was not causing the issue and they have confirmed there is not a problem with them but they have had other customers calling with the same issue.  However there was someone on here a few days ago with Talk Talk who is not having any issues with download.

The fact that I can down load BBC and ITV and laptops etc. are all running fine suggests it is not the ISP, plus there was a response from Sky on Friday 3rd Feb acknowledging the issue was with them.  

This message was authored by Steve0001 This message was authored by: Steve0001

Thanks Thirly.

So, just to be clear... at 2.31am on 5th Feb you were complaining about not being able to download to your Sky+ HD box. Presumably you had a change of heart that day and ordered your SkyQ box sometime on the 5th Feb. Since then (roughly a day and a half) an engineer called you, arranged an install time/date, has turned up and installed your new SkyQ box and you are now happily downloading and singing the praises of SkyQ. Quite a turnaround. 🤔

Happy for you.

This message was authored by Shut-ins This message was authored by: Shut-ins

@Thirly@Did you have to pay 119 pounds to upgrade from sky + to sky Q

@Shut-ins 

Up-front cost to move from Sky+ to Sky Q is very much negotiable: they typically set it high and then it magically reduces if extra add-ons are included.  The 'VIP upgrade' is 'free' but includes a mandatory Mini box with accompanying Multiscreen subscription, which can represent an unwanted monthly cost to a household with only one television.

This message was authored by Thirly This message was authored by: Thirly

@Steve0001I see my wording at the end of previous post gave the impression I was already watching Sky Q, that is not the case but I have ordered it. When I said "while many of you are spending hours trying to fix this issue, I'm happily downloading again with the most up to date kit". It should properly have said "I will be happily downloading again with the most up to date kit".

@Shut-insNo I did not pay 119 pounds. The woman at sky first assumed I had a standard sky SD box and told me I would get a free upgrade and free installation. Something to do with BBC not having local SD in future. I don't know what that's about but when I told her I have a Sky+HD box she charged me £20 extra "for admin" no extra charge for the box, engineer or installation. Other than what I already have on Sky+HD I  added UHD at (I think) an extra £8 per month.  So, £26 per month (basic pack plus Netflix Standard), UHD £8 per month, admin change one-off £20. As opposed to £46 per month that I currently pay for Sky+HD with packages I signed up for a long time ago when Sky+HD was first available.

Actually, when the lady looked at my account she said "oh my! You've been with us since 1989, I wasn't even born until 1995". Sigh!

This message was authored by thegfb This message was authored by: thegfb

The elephant in the room re an upgrade to Sky Q is that do we really know for sure that it will actually fix the problem?

I'm not a dinosaur and happy to move with the times, but tying yourself into a further 18 month contract with a service that is already not meeting the minimum standard is going to require some steely nerves, even with a statutory cool off period.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@thegfb wrote:

The elephant in the room re an upgrade to Sky Q is that do we really know for sure that it will actually fix the problem?

Look in the Sky Q forum?

This message was authored by thegfb This message was authored by: thegfb

@Mark39I did that, and just saw multiple threads of people posting problems so I'm not sure what your point is?

Admittedly, people are far more likely to complain about poor service than compliment good a service but I'm still not sure how it's relevant.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion