Discussion topic: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

This message was authored by monkeynuts1952 This message was authored by: monkeynuts1952

On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

Any help or advice gratefully accepted-

I have 2 Sky + boxes which had both been working perfectly until a couple of days ago. Neither will now download anything On Demand, says it's down loading but then shows "failed" have tried numerous times, both boxes. Still recording live programmes. Says connection to router and On Demand both ok. Have rebooted router and both sky boxes plus tried re-build feature. If my router is ok and both boxes stopped working at the same time it makes me think it's an issue at Skys end.

Any ideas what else I can do?

Tried to get an online chat going but couldn't get past the "bot"

Best Answers
This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27 Answer

Re: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

We have received an update from the support teams regarding the download error customers are seeing.

The cause of this issue was down to our infrastructure being updated at the headend (which was affecting Q as well however this was resolved relatively quickly) was taking longer to resolve on Sky + boxes. A DNS change was done to point towards the new headend but a small number of HD+ were stuck on the old DNS and not updating so were pointing wrongly at the old headend.

These instances are decreasing however we are still monitoring and expect this number of affected boxes to taper off.

Thank you for your understanding with this and allow some time for the affected boxes to be fixed. 

Kirsty

Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Kayelaina This message was authored by: Kayelaina

Sky + HD failing to Download.

Tried to download The Last of us last night and it would not download, showed downloading for a few seconds then failed.  Tried several channels including Sky Cinema and nothing will download other than BBC Iplayer and ITV.  Seems like the same issue that was widely reported for several days in Nov 2022.  I have reported to Sky and am awaiting a reply.  Has any one else experienced the same issue with failed downloads?  It was working on Monday evening.

This message was authored by TM123 This message was authored by: TM123

Re: Sky + HD failing to Download.

Yes! Just tried downloading a film and thought it was me!! Tried downloading other stuff and the same happens "download failed" 😒

Seems to be a repeat of the download issues from last year. Still waiting for a response from Sky. Will let you know when/if they respond. 

This message was authored by steve+benham This message was authored by: steve+benham

SAME AS ABOVE I LOST ALL HD CHANNELS AND CAN ONLY DOWNLOAD IT NORMAL MODE 

it has been happenning for a mmonth or so i got a new remote and leads but no good...how much does and engineer charge i live in a flat with a communial dish

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@steve+benham wrote:

SAME AS ABOVE I LOST ALL HD CHANNELS...

What's the error message when you tune to an HD channel?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@steve+benham wrote:

.how much does and engineer charge i live in a flat with a communial dish

Sky don't support communal dish infrastructure (apart from the Sky boxes themselves) : that would be a job for whoever the landlord/managing agent has appointed as a system maintainer.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Hi, I am not sure this is the same issue. The channels are fine but am unable to download any content other than BBC iplayer or ITV in HD or SD. It shows downloading then stops afer a few seconds and shows as failed.  You seem to be unable to download in HD. Not sure regarding engineers.

Hi. Yes same issue here. Started last night. I am only able to download BBC or ITV. All other channels including Sky cinema show downloading for a few seconds then stop and show as failed. Others also have the same issue. I have reported to Sky via email but no response as yet. Also spent a total of 3.5 hours on the phone (4 different calls). Cut off everytime so unable to speak to anyone.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Kayelaina wrote:

Hi. Yes same issue here. Started last night. I am only able to download BBC or ITV. All other channels including Sky cinema show downloading for a few seconds then stop and show as failed. 

What's the failure reason shown on screen, if you highlight a failed download in your Planner, and press i.

Hi, they all show the same thing. Failed Item unavailable. 

monkeynuts1952
Topic Author
This message was authored by monkeynuts1952 This message was authored by: monkeynuts1952

same here failed unavailable

Just an update which is not really an update.  Still unable to download anything. (stopped working Tuesday 31st Jan)  2nd day of trying to speak to someone, 3 calls (2 hrs) and still have not been able to get through and no response to any emails.  Getting past the bot for live chat seems like an impossible mission.  As this is the 2nd time in as many months where I can not download content and have not been able to get through to anyone at Sky to help it maybe time after 20 years to cancel.  All downloads fail after a few seconds and just show as failed content unavailable and I have tried over 25 different shows/films on a variety of channels and only BBC or ITV download any content. Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved or any one else having the same issue.  It can not just be me and @monkeynuts1952  having this problem.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kayelaina wrote:

It can not just be me and @monkeynuts1952  having this problem.

Worth keeping in mind that the overwhelming majority of Sky satellite customers are now using Q rather than Sky+, and a reasonable proportion of the remaining Sky+ hardware has never gone online (which is often why the users aren't interested in Q).  We're getting towards the point where it's quite possible such issues, even if they are systemic, won't affect many subscribers, which makes working out what's actually going on rather more challenging.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Well that could be the case but after a look on Discussions there do seem to be several people with Sky + having the same issue but they seem to be reporting  over various threads, some using the term Download and some using the term record but when reading into the posts they are referring to downloads.  Also there have been people reporting the same issue that have Sky Q.  Also not sure why this would be perfectly fine and stop overnight.  Everything that is happening is an exact copy of the issue that impacted most Sky + and Glass users back in Nov 2022.  I appreciate what you are saying but if they are happy to keep taking £70 for my Sky + subscription they should be able to ensure it works as it should.  Many people on here still seem to have Sky+.  Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion