Discussion topic: My screen is saying does not support HDCP

This message was authored by StaceyxDx This message was authored by: StaceyxDx

My screen is saying does not support HDCP

My screen is saying. This screen does not support HDCP try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use another screen. Which I have done both but still not working. Can anyone help can't get through to sky 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: My screen is saying does not support HDCP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you tried turning off both your Sky box and tv at the plug? Leave them both off for at least 4 minutes.

StaceyxDx
Topic Author
This message was authored by StaceyxDx This message was authored by: StaceyxDx

It's all working now managed to get hold of my son in law who works for sky and he talked me through it and it's all working now. He told me to unplug the hdmi lead from the box and the power cable and then unplug ur tv at mains. Leave off for 5 mins then plug everything back into the box then wait til the box power button turns green. Then plug ur tv back in and it should work. 

This message was authored by Timskybad This message was authored by: Timskybad

Has the hdcp message  happened again since. ?

This message was authored by Heap This message was authored by: Heap

For anyone still struggling with this problem: 

we purchased a USB splitter and new usb cable (both inexpensive), this solved the problem instantly after everything else had failed.

Hope that may help anyone else suffering with this issue. 

Welcome to the forum @Heap 😉

For the sake of clarity - do you mean an HDMI splitter? I'm not sure how a USB splitter and cable would help with an HDCP error.

This message was authored by Heap This message was authored by: Heap

Ah yes sorry, HDMI! 

This message was authored by Mjginwales This message was authored by: Mjginwales

This worked for me.  A good 5minutes of everything off at tva nd sky was it static?? Hope it does not reoccur

This message was authored by Kevin030609 This message was authored by: Kevin030609

Hi,

I had started to have the same issue on one Sky mini box.

Powering off TV and Sky mini box resolved issue but it happened again.

I changed hdmi cable for official Sky cable made no difference so moved hdmi going into TV to other HDMI.

Error went away without any need to power off anything.

While it was working I moved cable back to original hdmi on  TV and noticed Netflix error from when it was previously working after moving hdmi lead so just powered off TV and everything seems to be working.

I have a Samsung smart tv and wonder if there is a specific issue introduced to the TV after an update to its software.

Never had an issue until recently and Samsung forums also mention  this issue with Sky Q and Puk.

My TV is 1080p and about 2 years old.

Hope this helps

Powered o

@Kevin030609 unfortunately you have Sky Q and the issues raised here are for Sky+ equipment.

I'd caution against swapping live HDMI connections. Best only to do that while both devices are in standby.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Mark39 wrote:

@Kevin030609 unfortunately you have Sky Q and the issues raised here are for Sky+ equipment.

I'd caution against swapping live HDMI connections. Best only to do that while both devices are in standby.

HDMI is hot pluggable so will not cause and issue it the devices are powered, I have been hot pluggin HDMI for decades with zero issues

This message was authored by Kevin030609 This message was authored by: Kevin030609

Hi 

So it is a coincidence then that this issue is happening on both SkyQ and Sky +.... since the days of hdmi I have never known any issues with switching HDMI around. I can understand if you are going through a powered switch or extension.

Never hurts to be  cautious I suppose....

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

It can happen with ANY video device, if the handshaking fails it will no allow the display to output the signal

Hi,

I am aware of that.... 

No issues for 2 years and suddenly.... this issue has just started. Yes, it could be a hardware fault, cable firmware on either Sky or TV etc.

My expertise is not Sky or even in TV's. I have been in IT for over 34 years.

I have troubleshooted 1000's of issues in my time including helping Sky engineers to fix my own issues and cable my Sky boxes.

My experience of the issue is not to suggest a fix, as I am no where near identifying the actual cause.

Process of elimination, as you know will help narrow down the issue.  All I know is that this issue could be caused by anything and may not be related to any other issue here on this thread, but it might help someone.

This message was authored by Timskybad This message was authored by: Timskybad

One thing I found is that when it does happen , I can clear it by switching TV to another hdmi source, eg by turning on the dvd player and then back to sky and it is ok. I don't have to do anything to the sky box.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion