Discussion topic: My Sky+HD box switched itself off yesterday at some point and I lost 2 recordings

This message was authored by Fyfe1 This message was authored by: Fyfe1

My Sky+HD box switched itself off yesterday at some point and I lost 2 recordings

I think my box is on its last legs but I cannot change to Sky Q despite them offering it to me for free because the internet in my postcode is dreadful and I could not bear to get TV from internet (my connection drops nearly every day - BT Open Reach never got round to our street). Grateful for any advice as to best options. Thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

Re: My Sky+HD box switched itself off yesterday at some point and I lost 2 recordings

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fyfe1 Live TV and recording works exactly the same on Sky Q as it does on Sky+, through the satellite dish.

However, used Sky+HD boxes can be easily picked up on ebay for around £25-£30. Make sure to get a DRX890 or DRX895 model as these are the most up to date boxes, albeit several years old. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: My Sky+HD box switched itself off yesterday at some point and I lost 2 recordings

You don't need the internet with Sky Q to watch live TV or make and watch recordings but you will need it to view catchup, boxsets, Netflix and all that other available apps.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fyfe1 

Q is still a satellite system for all 'live' television: it's the on-demand, catch-up and app functionality which uses broadband.

Sky won't replace a failing Sky+ HD box with another one, as it's no longer a product for them and hardware was last manufactured in 2015.  You could obtain a late model (895/890) unit for about £30 on eBay.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

@Fyfe1 Live TV and recording works exactly the same on Sky Q as it does on Sky+, through the satellite dish.

However, used Sky+HD boxes can be easily picked up on ebay for around £25-£30. Make sure to get a DRX890 or DRX895 model as these are the most up to date boxes, albeit several years old. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fyfe1 

Perhaps also note that Sky on-demand works on Q even over slow broadband because content spools to disk, and so a download can be left running overnight, potentially making even UHD access viable.  This isn't the case for any of the streaming apps though, or 'watch from start' functionality.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion