Discussion topic: Missing channels on Sky Hd box

This message was authored by andy404 This message was authored by: andy404

Missing channels on Sky Hd box

Hi,

I have what seems to be a weird problem (to me anyway) I have in the the house 2 Sky boxes (1 std Sky HD and 1 Sky+Hd) Recently a  new quad LNB needed to be fitted and a strange issue has come up., the Sky+HD box is receiving some channels that the std HD box is not. Examples are Sky History 2 (ch 163),  BLAZE (ch 164)  Crime +investigation (ch 156) etc. As these are coming from the same LNB and the dish was aligned with a meter I cannot understand why no signal is being received.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Missing channels on Sky Hd box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Can you clarify what you mean by a standard HD box? Do you mean an HD receiver with no record facility, that is, model no DRX595?

andy404
Topic Author

Hi,

Yes it is a DRX595.

Cheers,

Andrew

It's a weird one to me too. Are you seeing a 'no satellite signal' error on the affected channels? Did they work ok before the LNB was swapped? I assume there's a separate cable from the LNB directly to the receiver?

andy404
Topic Author

Yes, the usual 'No satellite signal is being received' message. 

I have 2 cables to the Sky+HD box and another to the std HD receiver.

It might not be relevant, but the dish is a really old one,  the LNB arm is 25x13mm, so the new LNB took a bit of fettling of the old bracket to make it fit.

Sorry, but I can't tell you if the channels were there before, as the Sky+ box is the one that is mainly used.

The affected channels appear to be on the same transponder, so it might be an alignment issue or the signal strength to the DRX595 being degraded perhaps by old cable or the fit of the connectors at either end. Or a faulty box, of course. It might be a pain, but you could temporarily swap the boxes to check.

What's the signal strength/quality like on the Sky+HD box when you tune to one of those channels? That might rule out an alignment problem. 

andy404
Topic Author

On further investigation I think you are right, I have now found that BLAZE is a problem on the the Sky+ box and low signal quality/strength on some of the other channels, so alignment looks like an issue, looks like it's back up to the dish with the meter again, or get a professional!

I guess this is what happens when an amateur, messes tries to fix something!

Yes, unfortunately the kind of meters you or I might buy do have their limitations. Definitely no match for the professional kit.

andy404
Topic Author

I want to say thanks for your help, and putting me on the right track.....

Just need to decide how to fix it now plus I hate heights/ladders, almost as much as parting with the cash to get in a professional! ☹️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion