Discussion topic: Error message 'No Satelite Signal' only occurs on a few channels (eg Sky News) but not others

This message was authored by SilverBirch2 This message was authored by: SilverBirch2

Error message 'No Satelite Signal' only occurs on a few channels (eg Sky News) but not others

Strangley I am getting a 'No Satelite Signal' on a few stations such as 501 (Sky News), 512 & 522.  All other channels play perfectly so it can't be a 'no signal' situation.    Checking Sky TV status for my area says 'no issues'.  Have rebooted the box a few times - no difference.  Any ideas?

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Error message 'No Satelite Signal' only occurs on a few channels (eg Sky News) but not others

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

"No Satellite Signal" is an error generated by your Sky box and usually indicates an issue with one or more of the following:

• The Dish is misaligned (not all transponders are getting through, thus some channels may be affected and others not)
• The Tuners in the sky box
• The input sockets on the Sky box
• The plugs on the cables
• The cables themselves
• The Sockets on the dishes LNB
• The dishes LNB has gone faulty for the connections the box is using
• You have plugged your Sky+ box into a dish that is only compatible with Sky Q

You may have to call out a local satellite installer, unless you have Sky Protect insurance, to check/fix your system, another option is to move to Sky Q, as during the move all issues will be resolved as part of the install, there is also the option of Sky Glass or Sky Stream, if you want to move away from satellite TV and use the Internet

SilverBirch2
Topic Author
This message was authored by SilverBirch2 This message was authored by: SilverBirch2

Re: Error message 'No Satelite Signal' only occurs on a few channels (eg Sky News) but not others

Thanks Anne for quick reply.  This problem only happened today after many years good service - perhaps a component has gone faulty.  I'd like to keep the Sky+ box as have many hours of recordings plus I use the RF out facility to watch Sky on other TVs around the house.  I suppose recent high winds might have moved the dish slightly so that some channels can't be recieved now while others can be because of different transponders.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@SilverBirch2 wrote:

I suppose recent high winds might have moved the dish slightly so that some channels can't be recieved now while others can be because of different transponders.

That's a distinct possibility. Or a failing LNB, especially if it's more than 5 years old. It's unlikely to be a box problem.

SilverBirch2
Topic Author

Having decided that I probably needed a new LNB and was looking for a local engneer to arrange replacement, the various failing channels have all come back and the 'no signal' message has gone.  I didn't actually do anything but obviously quite happy although it is a mystery - just thought I'd let you guys know that it has been resolved - thanks for you input.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

A slightly shifted dish that subsequently moves back to its initial position could be the reason, this does not mean the issue will not reoccur

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion