Discussion topic: Copying Recordings from Sky+ HD Box (Before any upgrade)

This message was authored by Happydaze1 This message was authored by: Happydaze1

Copying Recordings from Sky+ HD Box (Before any upgrade)

It's about time for me to upgrade my Sky+HD Box but I have some programmes recorded that are very personal and sentimental (e.g. grandfather (now deceaced) on BBC News speaking about his D-Day Landings experiences) and I really do not want to lose these.

Please can anyone suggest how I could get these recordings copied to another location before I upgrade my Sky Box? I do not want to contact sky to upgrade until I've worked this out as I can see from other questions posted that once you've upgraded there is no going back!

I am a bit of a technophobe so if this is possible, can you spell this out for me in layman's terms? 

Thanks so much in advance.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Copying Recordings from Sky+ HD Box (Before any upgrade)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Happydaze1 wrote:

It's about time for me to upgrade my Sky+HD Box but I have some programmes recorded that are very personal and sentimental (e.g. grandfather (now deceaced) on BBC News speaking about his D-Day Landings experiences) and I really do not want to lose these.

Please can anyone suggest how I could get these recordings copied to another location before I upgrade my Sky Box? I do not want to contact sky to upgrade until I've worked this out as I can see from other questions posted that once you've upgraded there is no going back!

I am a bit of a technophobe so if this is possible, can you spell this out for me in layman's terms? 

Thanks so much in advance.

hi @Happydaze1 

it is possible to record from the old SKY HD boxes (unlike SKY Q) boxes

The signal provided is analogue Video (often referred to as composite video) & audio  

This signal was suitable for the old VHS recorders & some DVD / Hard disc recorders - if you don't have one  of these you can get USB devices for computers aimed at recording from  those VHS / DVD recorders/players& usually come with basic software

IIRC the outputs are only via a SCART connector so you might need a SCART to phono adapter/lead

I am afraid I am out of touch with them and thus can't recommend any specific  current ones

This message was authored by Pier50 This message was authored by: Pier50

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  A couple of months ago Sky blocked downloads from Sky+.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Pier50 wrote:

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  A couple of months ago Sky blocked downloads from Sky+.

Not to my knowledge. Certain recordings may be copy protected, as has always been the case, but it's still possible to copy most recordings to a separate storage medium in the ways @nigea99 described.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Pier50 wrote:

A couple of months ago Sky blocked downloads from Sky+.

That's incredibly unlikely: aside from the technical issues in doing so, Sky essentially aren't doing anything with HD apart from trying to pension it off...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion