Discussion topic: Can’t change aspect ratio on sky hd

This message was authored by Brighton33 This message was authored by: Brighton33

Re: Can’t change aspect ratio on sky hd

My TV has done exactly the same. I can change ratio on one of my tvs that's attached to the Q box, but we have a new router and box attached to our other TV and we can't change the ratio. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Brighton33 wrote:

My TV has done exactly the same. I can change ratio on one of my tvs that's attached to the Q box, but we have a new router and box attached to our other TV and we can't change the ratio. 

This forum is for Sky+ rather than Sky Q, but from your description,  it looks like the cause is the same - your TV. Can't be anything to do with Sky Q if you can change ratio on one of your TVs.

This message was authored by BillyH2 This message was authored by: BillyH2

Im having exact same issue.  Every channel even old style format was full screen.  I changed to sky q and had many issues, am back with sky+.  Several channels are not full screen when they were before.  Did you have any jot sorting?

Mick+wilson
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mick+wilson This message was authored by: Mick+wilson

Yes really strange, all and everyone says this should not happen, but somehow it is, I  don't know the answer nor does anyone else. 

This message was authored by BillyH2 This message was authored by: BillyH2

Thanks so much for reply.  Strange indeed.  I went back to sky+ as didnt have this issue then, assuming everything would be full screen as before.  No joy

@BillyH2 wrote:

Thanks so much for reply.  Strange indeed.  I went back to sky+ as didnt have this issue then, assuming everything would be full screen as before.  No joy

Some HD channels add black bars to the sides of a 4:3 picture which effectively increases the spect ratio to 16:9. So your Sky box is outputting, and your TV is displaying a widscreen picture, but what you see is a 4:3 picture with black bars down the sides. Changing the picture resolution in your Sky box settings to 576i might allow your TV to change the picture to fill the screen, but obviously it's no longer an HD picture a) because of the resolution change and b) because the picture is now distorted to fit the screen

This message was authored by Henchie1 This message was authored by: Henchie1

Hi Guys,

I've noticed the past couple of weeks that programmes my folks watch are on ITV3 and the aspect ratio formatting from letter box to autofill has also  stopped, worked fine on  antenna TV, s o I'm wondering if this channels have changed the broadcast ration, similar to the BBC HD upgrades that are going on at the same time? its not autofilling the screen, I know I've a SKy Q box, but i think the issue is wider than the +/Q boxes

This message was authored by EMPB This message was authored by: EMPB

4:3 channels work fine on non sky boxes so its absolute rubbish to say thats the way the channels broadcast. eg HorrorXtra, stupid black bar left and right of picture on the Sky Q box, but on my Technomate TM7102 IP I can stretch the picture and get rid of the bars. Sky needs to add this option, to the Sky Q box, as soon as possible.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@EMPB wrote:

4:3 channels work fine on non sky boxes so its absolute rubbish to say thats the way the channels broadcast. eg HorrorXtra, stupid black bar left and right of picture on the Sky Q box, but on my Technomate TM7102 IP I can stretch the picture and get rid of the bars. Sky needs to add this option, to the Sky Q box, as soon as possible.

Why would you want to watch a distorted picture? I hate watching 4:3 at 16:9 because everyone is fatter and shorter than they should be, the bars are in place to keep the picture the way it was suposed to be watched

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@EMPB wrote:

Sky needs to add this option, to the Sky Q box, as soon as possible.

That's extremely unlikely to happen: Sky 'needs' to do no such thing.

Q is now eight years old, and probably not going to gain any features which are not already there.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Andrew925 This message was authored by: Andrew925

My Sky Q box seems to have revereted to 4:3 only. All other inputs on the TV are at 16:9 but Sky (which was fine until yesterday ) now comes up as 4:3. I have checked that the Sky screen settings both HDMI and RF are set at 16:9 but it makes no differece. The Tv setting are 16:9 and as I said all other inputs (Fire stick etc.) come out at 16:9.

I've moved your post to the Sky Q forum as it's not related to Sky+

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Mark39 wrote:

OP mentions RF - perhaps it is a Sky+ box?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

OP mentions RF - perhaps it is a Sky+ box?

Your right  - missed that. I'll move it back.....

@Andrew925 assuming you do have a Sky+ box, rather than Sky Q, is this happening on both the main TV (connected by HDMI cable) and any second TV you might have (connected by coax cable)?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion