Discussion topic: Blank screen on TV but box lights working

This message was authored by RWB7 This message was authored by: RWB7

Blank screen on TV but box lights working

Hi,

We had a lightning strike nearby this evening and a very loud almost simultaneous thunderclap since when our TV screen has remained black even though the Sky box lights are on. Our Feeview is working as usual through the aerial.  I've tried all the usual tips such as unplugging, rebooting, etc. without success. Any suggestions or is a new box the answer? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Blank screen on TV but box lights working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Lightning strikes can fry a Sky box, we had one fried in the early days 😞

You could try to force a software update, see Q04 in my Sky Plus FAQ

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Lightning strikes can fry a Sky box, we had one fried in the early days 😞

You could try to force a software update, see Q04 in my Sky Plus FAQ

This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

I just had the same symptoms. TV screen blank (though FreeView working fine), and SkyHD box had the green light on front. No lightning. TV was getting 'no input' from the Sky box. It took 2 power off reboots before she fired back into life again. I get the feeling an overnight 'update' made it have a hissy fit, though I have no actual facts to prove it!

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Please Note: Sky+ is now a legacy service that Sky are replacing with their newer services: Sky Q, Sky Glass and Sky Stream

Sky+ does not get softare updates any more

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@StephenSky wrote:

I just had the same symptoms. TV screen blank (though FreeView working fine), and SkyHD box had the green light on front. No lightning. TV was getting 'no input' from the Sky box. It took 2 power off reboots before she fired back into life again. I get the feeling an overnight 'update' made it have a hissy fit, though I have no actual facts to prove it!

There hasn't been a software update for Sky+ boxes for well over 12 months. Sky are currently contacting Sky+ customers to let them know there won't be any further software updates and urging them to switch to Sky Q.

This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

@Mark39 wrote:

@StephenSky wrote:

There hasn't been a software update for Sky+ boxes for well over 12 months. Sky are currently contacting Sky+ customers to let them know there won't be any further software updates and urging them to switch to Sky Q.

Well, that discounts that theory then LOL I am aiming to be the last man on the Island to keep SkyHD, I love having my 'recordings' on a planner. CatchUp just is not the way I want to watch TV!

Sky Q records in the same way that Sky+ does. Sky Stream and Sky Glass don't - they stream all content.

@Mark39 wrote:

Sky Q records in the same way that Sky+ does. Sky Stream and Sky Glass don't - they stream all content.

Yes,but there is no RF output from the main box so I can't send the signal to my other 3 TVs as I've done for 20+ years. I'm up to Sky's littke tricks to extract more money in 'multi-room' LOL 😂

@StephenSky wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

Yes,but there is no RF output from the main box so I can't send the signal to my other 3 TVs as I've done for 20+ years. I'm up to Sky's littke tricks to extract more money in 'multi-room' LOL 😂

You can send a HDMI signal to multiple TVs or convert it to digital RF and send it to multiple TVs, though not as cheaply as with sky+

@Annie+UK wrote:

@StephenSky wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

You can send a HDMI signal to multiple TVs or convert it to digital RF and send it to multiple TVs, though not as cheaply as with sky+

I never knew that, interesting... How do you then substitute the old, 'magic eye' so you can control things from whatever room would then be fed from an HDMI cable?

No need. Many of the solutions @Annie+UK is referring to alllows for use of your magic eyes, or a built in alternative.

Plus you get an HD picture and stereo sound on the other TVs - vastly better than the RF analogue picture and mono sound.

Check Amazon, these things usually have built-in IR senders

@Mark39 wrote:

No need. Many of the solutions @Annie+UK is referring to alllows for use of your magic eyes, or a built in alternative.

Plus you get an HD picture and stereo sound on the other TVs - vastly better than the RF analogue picture and mono sound.

I'm smiling now. 2 of the TVs I currently feed an RF signal to are CRT sets bought 30 odd years ago. They are Sony & Toshiba and work like the day they were bought, and both have a 'digital freeview' box so I've full functionality. I have not bought into the world of 'picture & sound' being better, I was raised on a diet of B&W 12" screen with a coat hanger for an aerial, and ghosting came as standard LOL I am the absolute opposite of an early adopter 😂

@StephenSky you're a lost cause😁!

I wasn't far ahead of you - I was brought up with a 14" BW 405 line TV, with an aerial wire draped across the curtain track. You used to have to carefully tap the neck of the CRT with a knife handle to get the picture to appear....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion