Discussion topic: Are sky selling new remote controls anymore?

This message was authored by black-dragon This message was authored by: black-dragon

Are sky selling new remote controls anymore?

Are Sky selling new remote controls anymore?

there online store suggests they are but the temporary closure looks pretty perminant. The suggested number to call just goes to the standard sky help number which directs me here.

reason for asking - The down arrow on my current controller for a Sky +HD 2TB the down arrow was sticking so I brought a replacement from Amazon but the new controller won't pair with my Q acoustic Media4 soundbar.

To check the procedure I reset the old controller to factory settings and then used was able to successfully pair back with the soundbar but the new controller fails to pair. Got my money back from Amazon but now unable to buy a sky controller from sky. Sorry if I'm rambling can anyone suggest a way forward. I thought one sky+HD remote was just like another but it would seem not. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

Re: Are sky selling new remote controls anymore?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@black-dragon Quite possibly. Just had a quick look on Amazon and there are quite a few for under £10 which all have the Sky Button at the top blacked out in the photo. Presumably because they either don't say Sky or they are not allowed to show it saying Sky.

There is another one, marked as Genuine Sky, at £21, which is more like the price from Sky.

Most large supermarkets also sell them, if they are branded in Sky packaging they are likely to be genuine. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Have you tried cleaning the old remote?  see Q26 in my FAQ

black-dragon
Topic Author
This message was authored by black-dragon This message was authored by: black-dragon

Thanks Annie,

Cleaning the controller hadn't occurred to me, will give it a try. Would still be interested in knowing if Sky sell replacement controllers still in case cleaning didn't work. A question for a sky employee I guess??

Regards

Simon

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@black-dragon If cleaning the remote doesn't work Sky+ remotes are probably still sold at a lot of retail outlets including Argos.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
black-dragon
Topic Author

Hi Daniel,

Thanks I did try to buy a controller from Amazon but it wouldn't control my sound bar as mentioned in my orginal post above. So I have been unsuccessful with external vendors in the past.

Do I need to worry about the model of Sky+HD controllers? If so how do I confirm the model of my previous controller to match it?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@black-dragonI'm a Sky Q user so not sure tbh. There are at least two (one mainly black, one mainly silver) and I haven't got a sound bar. Perhaps @Annie+UK can enlighten us. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

• Do I need to worry about the model of Sky+HD controllers? If so how do I confirm the model of my previous controller to match it?

@black-dragon The version number of the remote is usually on a sticker in the battery compartment. 

Staying on Sky+HD
black-dragon
Topic Author

Thanks oj01,

I should have noticed the sticker but didn't. The sticker on my orginal controller is "URC1672-00-30R01 SkyHD rev.9F" but there is no sticker on my non-working replacement controller. Does that imply the  non-working replacement controller is not a genuine sky controller?

Regards

S

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

@black-dragon Quite possibly. Just had a quick look on Amazon and there are quite a few for under £10 which all have the Sky Button at the top blacked out in the photo. Presumably because they either don't say Sky or they are not allowed to show it saying Sky.

There is another one, marked as Genuine Sky, at £21, which is more like the price from Sky.

Most large supermarkets also sell them, if they are branded in Sky packaging they are likely to be genuine. 

Staying on Sky+HD
black-dragon
Topic Author

@oj01 ,

That's great thanks a lot. @Annie+UK and @Daniel0210 thanks for your informative answers to a multi-part rambling question 👍

This message was authored by blue70 This message was authored by: blue70

Appreciate this is an old post but taking the RC apart and cleaning it out worked for me. Thank you

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion