Discussion topic: Sky Stream - Turn off HDR?

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Sky Stream - Turn off HDR?

@Andy+S wrote:

I am a new user to sky stream - the HDR UHD Sport channel works great on my LG Oled - However on my Samsung QLED the UHD picture is dull and will get a better picture on the HD channel. It is a top of the range TV and only a couple years old. It is generally very bright for HDR content. I find it frustrating - either an option to turn off HDR on the stream box  or a fix to the problem would be welcome. It seems a common problem particularly on Samsung TVs.

Check how your TV's own iPlayer app copes with HLG HDR which is the same type of HDR that Sky uses. I have a not particularly bright Samsung TV in my office which is 5 years old but HLG HDR looks surprisingly good on it, certainly not dull and lifeless. 

Open the iPlayer app from your Samsung's main menu, not the Stream puck, and find a UHD HDR show such as The English, The Tourist or The Woman In The Wall. Make sure you select the version with UHD flagged on the top left of the thumbnail on the iPlayer menu. Do they look dull?

Remember that you'll probably need to tweak your picture settings for HLG content - if you can get it to look bright and dynamic with the internal iPlayer app then try copying those picture settings to the HDMI input that your Stream puck is attached to whilst playing some HLG content.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

We have a 2022 Samsung QLED that supports HLG and the picture quality is outstanding. I think the main issue the OP is experiencing is down to the TV not supporting HLG.

This message was authored by Andy+S This message was authored by: Andy+S

Many thanks for the feedback. 

1 - Don't think the TV nits output is the problem. According to ratings can achieve 1300 cd/m2 in HDR real scene average. All other HDR viewing from apps on the TV are plenty bright enough and really outstanding.

2 - Based on a quick look at the English on the TVs BBC app - picture looks dynamic and bright. This is on lower brightness settings than using for Sky HDR  - interestingly does not let me go into expertvsettings when using the BBC app.

3- I have a 2019 Samsung R90 model - so assume there is some issue using HLG format from an external source. It sounds like it has been sorted on newer models - but cannot justify another £2k just to watch sky sports in 4k. 

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q90t-hdr-hlg-issue-settings/td-p/3098650

This would seem to suggest that it's an issue with HLG on Sky for this model of TV...

This message was authored by Singh6 This message was authored by: Singh6

I have same issue with my sky puck HDR looks awful the problem is our tvs l think

like the Samsung Q9 or newer models got hdr up to 2000 nits of brightness not a problem with them tvs watching HDR content my Samsung tv very low quality only 350nits so when watching HDR content is look's awful can't see anything 

solution

l found that might help you leave your tv as it is set to max 4k

change

for example when click on sky movies or programs if it's in 4k or 4kHDR

On film it says  for example 

Cocaine Bear

1h 31m 15. UHD  HDR

Where it say play click Right Right until you come to all formats then click on all formats then you got a chance to watch it in UHD HDR or UHD or HD. 

click on UHD, and now you're watching it in UHD, and not in HDR that's how I do it. Hope it helps and it's so much more clear than UHD HDR

No don't think it's up. It's our TV. The HDR in my TV is really low quality only 315  nits of Brightness so it looks awful in HDR for example Samsung Q9 has nearly 2000 nits of brightness so you will have no problems with that TV

yes agreed l be to upgrade my 300nits TV to upgrading to Samsung Q9 I think it's called nearly 2000 nits up brightness

Please make sure you have at least 1000nits of brightness on your tv if you have not The films you watch in UHD HDR will look very dark like mine.

Or when buying a new tv

don't listen to the man in a shop when buying a new tv he will always tell you wrong information. Look it up on the Internet listen to what people are saying

do research if  considering buying a new TV

oh and sky uses HLG for 4k hdr which makes HDR look even worse. They use low quality HLG More reasons to buying a new TV l currently looking for buying a new TV Samsung Q9. I think it's called nearly 2000 nits up brightness no problem about TV HDR

Please make sure you have at least 1000nits of brightness on your tv if you have not The films you watch in UHD HDR will look very dark .

Or Buy a new TV that is at least minimum 1000nits HDR  of brightness

don't listen to the man in a shop when buying a new tv he will always tell you wrong information. Look it up on the Internet listen to what people are saying

do research if  considering buying a new TV

oh and sky uses HLG for 4k hdr which makes HDR look even worse. They use low quality HLG More reasons to buying a new TV l currently looking for buying a new TV Samsung Q9. I think it's called nearly 2000 nits up brightness no problem about TV HDR

Yes that is super expensive 

This message was authored by Dan.Reilly This message was authored by: Dan.Reilly

If you turn the picture setting down to 2160p 8 bit that should not have HDR 

This message was authored by Neil+Essex This message was authored by: Neil+Essex

You don't get that option on Sky Stream

================================
Sky Q 2TB HDR Box
Sky Q Mini Box
Sky Multiscreen
Sky Signature & Netflix Premium
Sky HD & UHD Pack
Sky Sports Complete Pack
TNT Sports
Sky Cinema
MUTV
Virgin Media Broadband Gig1
This message was authored by Neil+Essex This message was authored by: Neil+Essex

@Dan.Reilly you don't get that option on Sky Stream

================================
Sky Q 2TB HDR Box
Sky Q Mini Box
Sky Multiscreen
Sky Signature & Netflix Premium
Sky HD & UHD Pack
Sky Sports Complete Pack
TNT Sports
Sky Cinema
MUTV
Virgin Media Broadband Gig1

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion