Discussion topic: Sky Stream Puck

This message was authored by swanowskisc This message was authored by: swanowskisc

Sky Stream Puck

Hey folks,

So after using Amazon Firestick for 6 years I made a switch to Sky Stream. Why, you may ask? I had a subsription of NOW TV with the Movies packagae and wanted to get those movies in UHD.

It arrived yesterday and it has been one disaster after another. To start off with, the remote will control the volume on my TV but will not control power, I have a soundbar connected via e-ARC and just randomly the sounds stop and I have to power the puck off and back on, related to sound the sync issue was off the hook but that got resolved by using "passthrough", Netflix just randomly closes while watching content, the power button on the remote will not turn off or on the puck unless it is in direct line of sight and only after does the bluetooth connection function kick in, it very laggy when scrolling through other conent......I have a few other niggles that I was able to resolve by googling but all in all it seem that this was not tested fully before going out to market.

All Replies

This message was authored by Carnoch04 This message was authored by: Carnoch04

Re: Sky Stream Puck

Sorry to hear you are having these problems but I have had Stream for 18 months and I have not had any of these issues. Have you done a reset on the box? That can be a cure-all.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@swanowskisc wrote:

all in all it seem that this was not tested fully before going out to market.

Sky Stream pucks were released in October 2021 alongside the Sky Glass television set.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@swanowskisc 

I had Stream for about a year and sadly had similar experiences to you. Gave up on it completely a couple of months ago as it just wasn't improving fast enough. Don't miss it at all. 

This message was authored by Carnoch04 This message was authored by: Carnoch04

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@swanowskisc wrote:

all in all it seem that this was not tested fully before going out to market.

Sky Stream pucks were released in October 2021 alongside the Sky Glass television set.

Just for accuracy, stand-alone Sky Stream pucks were not available until October 2022. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Carnoch04 you are correct but the hardware and firmware were exactly the same as the pucks supplied with Glass the previous year which was the point being made. In 2021 the point about testing was valid but now it isnt most of the bugs have been squashed but TV makers dont always supply the correct IR codes to set top makers which is the issue here.

@swanowskisc go back into the remote set up but this time select the TV make but allow the system to find a code for you then let it cycle tgrough the options until you get one that controls volume and then test the power if it doesnt work go onto the next til you find one thst does both commands. I had the same problem initially when programming for my LDC9 IIRC it was the code thst followed the one thst only operated volume that worked.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Swanowski This message was authored by: Swanowski

So It has been 10 days in and here are a few updates to my issues:

• You have to long press the power button to either turn off or on the TV. Quick press powers the puck.
  • The random sound loss still happens. Randomly when I switch to any other stream app, the sound just drops off. I have to turn off the TV and Puck to get it back
  • Using passthrough on the puck works on some apps but was still slightly out of sync. On Disnely+ & Netflix it was way off. I eventually found the fix though as setting the TV to passthrough as well completely resolved this.
  • The biggest issue I have is the contant freezing and crashing. If I am wathching live TV and switch to Netflix the screen freezes and then goes black screen. I can then only resolve if I unplug and plug the puck back in, as the power button the remote or the device will not respond. This happens randomly on average about 3 times a day. This happens when switching between other app but is most common with Netflix

All in all it is not a very good user experience when setting up as it is advertised as "plug & play"......far from it.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Swanowski wrote:
  •  
  • The biggest issue I have is the contant freezing and crashing. If I am wathching live TV and switch to Netflix the screen freezes and then goes black screen. I can then only resolve if I unplug and plug the puck back in, as the power button the remote or the device will not respond. This happens randomly on average about 3 times a day. This happens when switching between other app but is most common with Netflix

Typically this is caused by the network connection not being strong and stable enough. Drops in the connection leading to the puck getting less than the recommended download speed can lead to the puck crashing due to it requiring a constant connection to Sky's servers. If you are connected via Wifi, it worth making sure both the puck and the router are out in the open. You may also find a better more stable connection by connecting via ethernet rather rather Wifi. If you do switch from Wifi to ethernet, you also need to disable the Wifi in the puck's network settings. Once the Wifi is disabled rebooting the pcuk by unplugging it for a minute is the best thing to do to ensure the wifi does get disabled, sometimes the disabling doesn't take affect until you reboot.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

swanowskisc
Topic Author
This message was authored by swanowskisc This message was authored by: swanowskisc

Thank you for your note on this but I can 100% verify that this wont be the the problem. I have 1 gig fibre speed and the puck is directly connected to my router. The issue is becomgin unbearable and today alone already by 4:30pm I have had to unplug the puck 6 times as it has frozen out. As a last recourse I am going to go through whole puck reset and start from scratch and if it continues I will need to request a replacement and give that a try.

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@swanowskisc wrote:

Thank you for your note on this but I can 100% verify that this wont be the the problem. I have 1 gig fibre speed and the puck is directly connected to my router. The issue is becomgin unbearable and today alone already by 4:30pm I have had to unplug the puck 6 times as it has frozen out. As a last recourse I am going to go through whole puck reset and start from scratch and if it continues I will need to request a replacement and give that a try.

Try connecting via WiFi. You might have 1 gig but the ethernet adapter in the puck is 100mbs. 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion