Discussion topic: Dolby vision set up sky stream

This message was authored by 909090 This message was authored by: 909090

Re: Dolby vision set up sky stream

I've already tried swapping the Stream puck and the Apple TV box around, but unfortunately, I still didn't get Dolby Vision. It seems like the issue might not be related to the HDMI ports on the TV. I appreciate the suggestion though 

This message was authored by wildsid This message was authored by: wildsid

Got a similar TV to you got the G3

And only had Streaming for four day's

+ a Yamaha up 8K Amp

And a nvidia shield tv [tube thing] plugged in to Amp next to the puck.

I'm with you bruv, Sky Stream does NOT do Dolby Vision, just checked Netflix and that DOES do Dolby Vision.

I love me footy but on UHD games they are only displaed as HLG HDR [gotta tone down the bright, it's searing]

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Must be some kind of incompatibility with certain LG models then because Sky Stream does output Dolby Vision from its Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+ & Prime Video apps on my Panasonic OLED. 
Could it be that your LG's will only receive Dolby Vision at certain frame rates? One of the downsides of the Stream pucks is their inability to output native frame rates from third party apps. They can only output at 50Hz or 60Hz (with judder reduction turned on.) Some TVs can only accept Dolby Vision at 24P, 25P or 30P. 

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Padam_Padam I have an LG G2 and can confirm that my Stream Puck does indeed output Dolby Vision on the Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV+ apps without issues. I trust those with LG Oleds have set the HDMI input to Deep Colour?

This message was authored by wildsid This message was authored by: wildsid

Read my post properly pal.

Thats what I said.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@wildsid wrote:

Read my post properly pal.

Thats what I said.

I'm with you bruv, Sky Stream does NOT do Dolby Vision

Sky's own UHD HDR content such as live sports and Sky Cinema, does not stream in Dolby Vision and never has done - it only ever streams with HLG HDR.

just checked Netflix and that DOES do Dolby Vision

This is correct. The Netflix app on the Sky Stream puck does output Dolby Vision. 

This message was authored by SJRed This message was authored by: SJRed

Hi been reading up on problems with sky stream and Dolby vision on Disney and Netflix on an UHD HDR LG TV. I would get picture interruption or flickering and then the Dolby vision icon would appear as if it had re-connected to a new picture setting. I phoned sky - went through the usual checks and re-sets and even got a new puck. It was better or at least watchable but still wound do the picture reset thing. After a while it got worse again so I swapped hdmi ports and it was a little less frequent. So I decided to get new quality HDMI cable and it works perfectly now. I was using the sky provided HDMI. I bought Anker ultra high speed model A8743 off Amazon c£14

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Sky have aimed for the majority of customers with the HDMI cable as it only supports HDMI 2.0 but the Puck is HDMI 2.1. 

This set up works fine for most people (and saves a few quid for Sky/Comcast) as HDMI 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 18Gbps which is perfectly good for UHD, HDR10 & HLG.

However, when you introduce low video compression, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos into the mix, you're going to run into bandwidth issues as you're shifting around much more data. This is where you need to spend £10 or so on a HDMI 2.1 cable as this will increase available bandwidth to 48Gbps.

If you have a TV that supports all of these formats, it should also support HDMI 2.1. 

This message was authored by SJRed This message was authored by: SJRed

Yeah - sky don't tell u this and I spent ages on the phone with sky and never really got fixed - and they could have just said try a better HDMI lead! It took me a while to find the posts to solve so thought I would add in to the mix 😀

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@SJRed I uncovered all of this while trying to diagnose Audio dropouts on our new TV and Atmos soundbar a couple of years ago... I never knew about the bandwidth limitations of different versions of HDMI before then 🤣

@SJRed wrote:

Yeah - sky don't tell u this and I spent ages on the phone with sky and never really got fixed - and they could have just said try a better HDMI lead! It took me a while to find the posts to solve so thought I would add in to the mix 😀

Sky Stream is a mass-market product. The vast majority of customers and Sky advisors don't have a clue about HDR. Dolby Vision in particular is still very much seen as a niche A/V enthusiast type of format which Sky have no real interest in. If it saves them a few pennies to put a lower spec HDMI cable in the box then that's what they'll do.  

@SJRed I'd be surprised if any of the Sky front line advisors know what the various HDR formats are to be honest as most people really don't care. We are in the mass minority of geeks that do care. 

The retention person at my old TV package supplier told me that I'll get every channel in Ultra HD with HDR and Atmos even BBC and ITV because the box supports this and it's all included. I had a right good chuckle at this one  .  🤣

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion