Discussion topic: Upgrade From Sky+ to Sky Q

This message was authored by Sky_Moose1 This message was authored by: Sky_Moose1

Upgrade From Sky+ to Sky Q

Hi, I'm upgrading from an existing Sky + box to a Sky Q box. Will this simply be a case of the engineer switching the boxes under the TV and doing whatever they do to connect it to the internet as it is currently? I.e. fairly straightforward.

Or will they have to do something external to the flat like connect to a dish or the communal Sky set up that the rest of the flats in my block use? Or maybe some extra wiring/connections somewhere in the flat?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Upgrade From Sky+ to Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sky_Moose1 wrote:

Hi, I'm upgrading from an existing Sky + box to a Sky Q box. Will this simply be a case of the engineer switching the boxes under the TV and doing whatever they do to connect it to the internet as it is currently? I.e. fairly straightforward.

Or will they have to do something external to the flat like connect to a dish or the communal Sky set up that the rest of the flats in my block use? Or maybe some extra wiring/connections somewhere in the flat?

Thanks

hi @Sky_Moose1 

If you have a Communal feed then it depends on whether the distribution system is already capable of working with SKY Q which some are, but many require the engineer to install an 'adapter' in the distribution cupboard - assuming the existing feed has a good enough signal..

You may wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Sky_Moose1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Sky_Moose1 This message was authored by: Sky_Moose1

Thanks for the reply. Is there any downside with simply sticking to the existing Sky +?

The Email said it will no longer receive software enhancements, but not sure if that is an issue.

I don't want to have to ask the management company if the engineer can change anything as they will probably say no..

I may have to cancel the upgrade now which is more faffing about.

@Sky_Moose1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Is there any downside with simply sticking to the existing Sky +?

The Email said it will no longer receive software enhancements, but not sure if that is an issue.

I don't want to have to ask the management company if the engineer can change anything as they will probably say no..

I may have to cancel the upgrade now which is more faffing about.

hi @Sky_Moose1

if you have a SKy + HD box then I think you should be able to continue until the box dies & even then you can look out for a 2nd hand HD box (edit although I guess they will become harder & harder to get over time)

If you only have a SKY + box that is not HD capable then this will be a problem as SKY are moving the SD channels to a different transmission system that the old SD only boxes cannot work with. 

There does appear to a gradual decrease in functionality for some aspects of the SKY HD systems  - for example the Red button options on many sports channels are now relying on app type functionality that cannot be provided by the older HD boxes

There is no two ways about SKY are actively trying to get SKY HD customers to switch to either SKY Q or SKY Stream & they no longer support SKY HD boxes (& associated cables or dish where appropriate) - they  only  support the existing subscriptions / cards needed.

You may get additional info scanning the SKY HD group

BTW although some management companies are awkward, I think most do allow SKY to add the adapters but I should add, as I hinted above, not all properties are suitable - either due to a poor signal or lack of space/power in the communal system cupboards. 

Sky_Moose1
Topic Author

Again, thanks for the reply. Do you know what would happen on the day of the update if it turns out it won't be a straightforward switch of the old and new box. I'd have to tell the engineer to leave things as they are as there's no way I'd be able to tell him to amend something in the communal area (and I don't even know where that is)

@Sky_Moose1 wrote:

Again, thanks for the reply. Do you know what would happen on the day of the update if it turns out it won't be a straightforward switch of the old and new box. I'd have to tell the engineer to leave things as they are as there's no way I'd be able to tell him to amend something in the communal area (and I don't even know where that is)

hi @Sky_Moose1 

I think you should receive (if you haven;t already) notification that you will need prior approval from the Building Management for the Engineer to access & if necessary make changes to the Communal system

I am afraid I do not know for sure the procedures in case of failure to install

I think the Engineers are pretty good in finding the communal distribution system  ciupboards - but obviously it will depend on where they are  etc.

This message was authored by Oliver+Burnouf This message was authored by: Oliver+Burnouf

Hi,

is it possible to keep the Sky+ box when switiching to SkyQ?

I have lots of recording on my Sky+Box that I woildn't want to lose.

Thanks

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Oliver+Burnouf wrote:

Hi,

is it possible to keep the Sky+ box when switiching to SkyQ?

I have lots of recording on my Sky+Box that I woildn't want to lose.

You will not be able to access recordings after the conversion.  (You get the keep the box fwiw)

Remember the hard disk in these boxes is not designed for long term archiving.  You may* be able to 'copy' the programmes from the box to an external source.

* subject to copy protection

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Oliver+Burnouf This message was authored by: Oliver+Burnouf

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please explain why I won't be able to watch what has been recorded on the Sky+ HD after I switch?

For the record (no pun intended) I have recorded several seasons of a TV series and I delete the episodes after I've viewed them but it'll take months before I've seen them all. (they aren't availble on catch-up as the seres was shown on TCM).

@Oliver+Burnouf wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please explain why I won't be able to watch what has been recorded on the Sky+ HD after I switch?

For the record (no pun intended) I have recorded several seasons of a TV series and I delete the episodes after I've viewed them but it'll take months before I've seen them all. (they aren't availble on catch-up as the seres was shown on TCM).

All recordings on SKY HD & SKY Q are physically kept on disc. 

To access the recordings you need a subscription applicable for that system- the HD Subscription is effectively cancelled on transfer to SKY Q.

There is no mechanism for transferring the actual recordings from box to box.

Any purchased content can be downloaded onto the new box

Some content may still be availble to download from "On Demand" (or for recent recordings  "Catch up") but older content and lots of sports content amongst others won't be available to download anymore

ok I get it.

Thank you very much.

I won't switch till my Sky+ stops working

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

It was possible to transfer recordings in the past with the previous HD boxes by using copy+. But not with a HD box to SkyQ, You'd definitely invalidate any warranty as all Q boxes are owned by Sky and also this is breach of digital rights..

This message was authored by Penguin1993 This message was authored by: Penguin1993

Hi iv had the same problem iv been asking my housing  officer for well over 2 years n nothing but it's like talking to a brick wall mine needs the upgrade to be able to have skyQ iv noticed the flat next to mine have put a dish up but we are not allowed iv asked this 2 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion