Discussion topic: Unable to download on demand content - call to upgrade message

This message was authored by Stash74 This message was authored by: Stash74

Unable to download on demand content - call to upgrade message

Have had SkyQ for a couple of weeks, full HD entertainment/sport package but am unable to download any content from OnDemand/CatchUp.  When trying I just get a "call to upgrade" message but 99% certain this shouldn't be required due to the package I'm on.  Have tried the various help suggestions (changing downloading format/checking hardware & software versions are correct etc) with no success.  Have seen suggestions that some sort of "refresh" may be needed to my viewing card by Sky?  Does this sound correct and is there anyway online of getting this done?

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Unable to download on demand content - call to upgrade message

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Stash74 

As you suspect, unfortunatley, I think you are suffering from  a bug at SKY's end which can affect some new customers when trying to download.

I have escalated your post to SKY who, hopefully, will be in touch.    (edit) who have managed to pick up this escalation whilst I was typing  🙂

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

As mentioned, I believe they try to refresh the card which sometimes works first time but I think it can take several attempts and even then sometimes it needs some other background process

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP adress' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to chat.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

hi @Stash74 

As you suspect, unfortunatley, I think you are suffering from  a bug at SKY's end which can affect some new customers when trying to download.

I have escalated your post to SKY who, hopefully, will be in touch.    (edit) who have managed to pick up this escalation whilst I was typing  🙂

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

As mentioned, I believe they try to refresh the card which sometimes works first time but I think it can take several attempts and even then sometimes it needs some other background process

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP adress' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

This message was authored by Francesca29 This message was authored by: Francesca29

I'm getting this error every time I try to download something on demand. I've tried changing the download preferences to SD but it's still happening and driving me insane! 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Francesca29 wrote:

I'm getting this error every time I try to download something on demand. I've tried changing the download preferences to SD but it's still happening and driving me insane! 

hi @Francesca29 

Please may I just check that the message you are getting is asking you to upgrade ?

Also are you a new customer or changed your package recently ? 

This message was authored by Francesca29 This message was authored by: Francesca29

It says to press the red button to upgrade and watch. The programme is on channel 4 so not one that would be outside my package. 

@Francesca29 wrote:

It says to press the red button to upgrade and watch. The programme is on channel 4 so not one that would be outside my package. 

I think channel 4 HD downloads do require the HD add on - so sorry to be a nuisance but the setting you changed to SD was in:

download preference to SD
Main Menu -> Settings -> Setup -> Preferences  ?

Is it just one programme or everything you try to download including other channels ?  

Yes that's where I changed it to SD. But it's still not working. 
Ive just tried to download something from BBC1 and got an error saying "you don't have the required subscription to download this programme"

@Francesca29 wrote:

Yes that's where I changed it to SD. But it's still not working. 
Ive just tried to download something from BBC1 and got an error saying "you don't have the required subscription to download this programme"

Thanks for that @Francesca29 , 

In which case, unfortunatley, I do think you are suffering from the bug at SKY's end which can affect some customers when trying to download.

I have, thus,  escalated your post to SKY who, hopefully, will be in touch.

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to Francesca29.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - spoken to @Francesca29 the issue is now resolved 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Ams321 This message was authored by: Ams321

Hi I'm having the same issue. Trying to download SD content from Sky History and it asks me to press the red button to upgrade. Same happens when trying to download from Channel 5/My5 

@Ams321 wrote:

Hi I'm having the same issue. Trying to download SD content from Sky History and it asks me to press the red button to upgrade. Same happens when trying to download from Channel 5/My5 

@Ams321 

Have you tried changing your download preference to SD as per my post above (#7)

This message was authored by Ams321 This message was authored by: Ams321

That didn't work the first time but I've just tried it again and it worked! 
Thanks 

This message was authored by DarrenB2 This message was authored by: DarrenB2

I'm having this issue too. Tried changing download video format to SD, HD and UHD. Nothing works.

Also I'm missing all apps, tried refreshing them via the install/setup menu and nothing workds.

Darren

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion