Discussion topic: Transferring recordings

This message was authored by Mike077 This message was authored by: Mike077

Transferring recordings

Hi,

I'm expecting replacement Sky Q box to arrive tomorrow. How can I transfer my recordings from the existing recordings to new box? I guess I'll have to somehow transfer them to an external drive, before I'll send the existing box? 

Cheers 

Mike

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Transferring recordings

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Mike077   Your recordings are stored on the hard drive of the old box. There is absolutely no way to transfer them to your new box. I'm afraid that you have lost them. Purchases are a different matter. Of course some of them may be available from on-demand.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Mike077 wrote:

Hi,

I'm expecting replacement Sky Q box to arrive tomorrow. How can I transfer my recordings from the existing recordings to new box? I guess I'll have to somehow transfer them to an external drive, before I'll send the existing box? 

Cheers 

Mike

@Mike077 when your new box arrives if its a doorstep swap then REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOUR VIEWING CARD  from your old box

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
Mike077
Topic Author

Hi @MightyQuinn, thanks for answering my query. It's a bit of a shame, that you are not allowed to transfer them over. Should I reset my box to factory settings, before handing it over to the courier?

Mike077
Topic Author

Hi @Laing1,

Good shout - thanks for the reminder.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@Mike077 wrote:

Hi @MightyQuinn, thanks for answering my query. It's a bit of a shame, that you are not allowed to transfer them over. Should I reset my box to factory settings, before handing it over to the courier?

Hi @Mike077   No need. Just remember to keep your viewing card.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mike077 wrote:

It's a bit of a shame, that you are not allowed to transfer them over.

Transfer has never been possible for any generation of Sky satellite television hardware, and (short of engineering the boxes for a disk drive swap) would take an unfeasible length of time anyway.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by martinfarncomb This message was authored by: martinfarncomb

Hi @Mike077 ,

I was told by sky on the phone that I could keep my old Sky + box to watch old recorded programs.

But this was not true and I have lost some old recordings of great personal value. They lied to me.

Had I have known this before,  I would have played the programs and taken a copy by connecting a laptop to the tv and taken a copy of the playback. Not the bast quality, but at least I would have had something.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@martinfarncomb wrote:

I was told by sky on the phone that I could keep my old Sky + box to watch old recorded programs.

But this was not true and I have lost some old recordings of great personal value. They lied to me.

They were half right: on the Sky+ / Sky+ HD platform the box is the property of the user, to be retained or disposed of as the user sees fit.

Access to data on the hard drive is a subscription service, though, so that ceases upon cancellation or a change to subscription on Sky Q, Glass or Stream.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion