Discussion topic: Software updates causing issues with mini boxes

This message was authored by Cjj550 This message was authored by: Cjj550

Software updates causing issues with mini boxes

There seem to be lots of software updates lately that only become apparent when sky mini boxes stop working or tv programmes start start pausing and fluttering mid watch . I seem to be having to update software every couple of weeks which takes up time having to install each box one at a time in a certain order and if you dont do it look ke this tv becomes unwatchable . Is this an issue with the equipment I have or are you doing lots of updates to the system ?

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Software updates causing issues with mini boxes

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Cjj550 

What makes you think you think it is software updates ?

SKY only release updates every few months & I am not sure if the Q022 has started to roll out or not

You need to be aware the message 'Update this box with the latest software', rather confusingly, is always there irrespective of whether there has been a software release or not. 

Have you been restarting your main box or just the mini

Cjj550
Topic Author

We have 2 mini boxes and booth of them start fluttering and pausing and interrupting viewing . If we then do the update software it stops the issue and we are then able to watch uninterrupted for a couple of weeks until it starts again. . If it's not the software needing updating what would you suggest it is ??

@Cjj550 wrote:

We have 2 mini boxes and booth of them start fluttering and pausing and interrupting viewing . If we then do the update software it stops the issue and we are then able to watch uninterrupted for a couple of weeks until it starts again. . If it's not the software needing updating what would you suggest it is ??

hi @Cjj550 

The first thing, if you haven't already don it is to fully power down restart of the main box. 

Who is your home wifi with  assuming the minis are not wired via ethernet to the main box?

Cjj550
Topic Author

Been through all the starting of the main box and then both minis . It's really not a wifi issue . The main box is connnected by Ethernet and the mini boxes are covered by a mesh system . We have 1gb wifi . It is simply the mini boxes and the issue goes away wjen you go through the process of updating the software for about a month then starts again  . I was simply wondering if it's a hardware issue or whether there has been an increase in software downloads .

@Cjj550 wrote:

Been through all the starting of the main box and then both minis . It's really not a wifi issue . The main box is connnected by Ethernet and the mini boxes are covered by a mesh system . We have 1gb wifi . It is simply the mini boxes and the issue goes away wjen you go through the process of updating the software for about a month then starts again  . I was simply wondering if it's a hardware issue or whether there has been an increase in software downloads .

If your wifi mesh is not SKY you need to be aware that the minis do not use your wifi mesh but use a (closed) wifi network generated by the main Q box

As I mentioned the software release updates only occur about once a quarter - I have a query out on whether Q220 has begun rollout  - otherwise the latest release is q210 which was autumn last year

This message was authored by Buttsy57 This message was authored by: Buttsy57

We are having similar issues with Sky mini boxes either freezing or receiving the message connection problem which has become more frequent over the last 6 month so much that we switched broadband suppliers from Sky to fibres hoping this would cure the problem but if anything it seems to have got worse. I am having reset/ reboot the mini boxes and main Q box several times a week and sometimes several times a day. I am seriously considering ditching Sky completely 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion