Discussion topic: Sky Q mini box losing internet connection - TP Link Deco XE75 Pro

This message was authored by RPJ1 This message was authored by: RPJ1

Sky Q mini box losing internet connection - TP Link Deco XE75 Pro

Hi,

For the last month or so our Sky Q mini box has been losing it's wirless internet connection more or less daily which means we are constantly resetting the connection. Our main Sky Q box which also works by Wi-Fi and is connected to a Deco works fine.

We are BT Internet customers (500 Mbps Full Fibre) and have a TP Link Deco XE75 Pro mesh system for our Wi-Fi.

I have been in contact with the TP Link help desk who are trying to help me resolve this issue and their latest suggestion is to switch off the 5Ghz frequency in the main Sky Q box as they think our Sky Q mini box is connected to the Deco Wi-Fi and the main Sky Q box simultaneously. 

I'm not an IT expert but I thought they have to be connected via their own internal mesh Wi-Fi system (which is the 5GHz network) in order that we can watch television on the mini box and be able to access our recordings which are saved to the Sky Q main box’s hard-drive etc.

If I were to switch the 5GHz network off, surely they wouldn't connect to each other?

I would appreciate some guidance and advice on this please.

Thank you.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q mini box losing internet connection - TP Link Deco XE75 Pro

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @RPJ1 

Turning off the Main Q box 5 Ghz isa simple task and can be switched back on if it doesn't help.

Personally if possible I would connect both Q boxes by Ethernet to your mesh nodes.

You could then turn off all Q box WiFi.

If this is possible post back and I can give more expanded advice.

RPJ1
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella 

Thanks for the post. If I wish to try turning off the 5GHz on my main Sky Q box how would I do that?

Ideally, we'd prefer not to connect the boxes via Ethernet. We do have a Decos in the same rooms as the Sky Q boxes but they aren't in convenient locations, and we'd have run cables across the rooms as they are on different sides. If we do decide to give it ago, we'd apprerciate your instructions on how to do this?

Thank you. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Correct they do need their own mesh but it can be over ethernet (as far as they know) or the Q's wifi or any wifi connected to sky broadband. But not any wifi connected to any other router. Yes it's completely stupid.

I used ethernet powerlines for minis and moved a mesh node to be closer to the Sky Q so I could connect that one over ethernet.

I would say it's worth at least trying cables to the Decos. If it works then you can consider the logistics.

disable wifi through the installer menu. Hover over Settings and hit 001 Select.

@RPJ1 wrote:

Hi @oldfella 

Thanks for the post. If I wish to try turning off the 5GHz on my main Sky Q box how would I do that?

Ideally, we'd prefer not to connect the boxes via Ethernet. We do have a Decos in the same rooms as the Sky Q boxes but they aren't in convenient locations, and we'd have run cables across the rooms as they are on different sides. If we do decide to give it ago, we'd apprerciate your instructions on how to do this?

Thank you. 

Hi @RPJ1 

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

RPJ1
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella & @Chodley ,

Thank you both for replying and for your help and guidance, which I appreciate.

Just to update you out of frustration I spoke with Sky a few days ago and having gone through their troubleshooting measures they agreed the likely cause was a faulty Sky Q mini box as it was around six years old. That was delivered on Thursday morning. It connected to the TP Link Deco Wi-Fi very quickly and since then I've had no issues with the connection dropping or disconnecting.

Therefore being as it's now working as it should I am not going to fiddle with it and set up a wired connection at this time. If it does start disconnecting again my plan is to connect both boxes by an Ethernet cable to a TP Link Ethernet hub which itself is connected to a Powerline adapter, rather than run unsighlty cables around both rooms to the Decos which are not located close to the Sky Q boxes.

I'm assuming that proposed setup would work? 

Fingers crossed both boxes will now work without any issues wirelessy. 

Thanks again. 

@RPJ1 wrote:

Therefore being as it's now working as it should I am not going to fiddle with it and set up a wired connection at this time. If it does start disconnecting again my plan is to connect both boxes by an Ethernet cable to a TP Link Ethernet hub which itself is connected to a Powerline adapter, rather than run unsighlty cables around both rooms to the Decos which are not located close to the Sky Q boxes.

I'm assuming that proposed setup would work? 

Fingers crossed both boxes will now work without any issues wirelessy. 

Thanks again. 

Hi @RPJ1 

Never any guarantees using Powerline but they are successful if you have a simple mains circuit in good condition.

You say you would have a Powerline unit connected to an Ethernet hub.   To what would the base Powerline unit be connected?

RPJ1
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella,

I think our mains circuit is in good order as we have used Powerline before.

I'm either going to connect the base Powerline unit to the main wired Deco or directly into my BT Home Hub. 

This message was authored by Tf1972 This message was authored by: Tf1972

Hi

we are now having the same issue as you. With out mini boxes and TP link, after it being fine for months.  Are your mini's, since replacing one, still working okay?

RPJ1
Topic Author

Hi,

In the end we rang Sky in total frustration as we had to more or less reconnect our Mini box daily. As the box was roughly 5/6 years old the person I spoke to immediately ordered a replacement box which we received the next day. That was nearly a month ago and so far we have had to reconnect it twice since. Which is a big improvement on where we were. So it has made a huge difference.  Give Sky a ring and hopefully they will provide you with a new replacement Mini box too. Good luck. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion