Discussion topic: Sky Q distribution around house via HDMI modulator

This message was authored by P1stonbroke This message was authored by: P1stonbroke

Sky Q distribution around house via HDMI modulator

My current SKY+ HD box distributes signal via RF out throughout my house via coax to a powered splitter in the loft and then to  other tv sets, each additional TV having a TV eye .  Works extremely well but now having to replace current SKY + box with Sky Q which of course does not have RF output.  In simple terms, will using an HDMI modulator connected to the new SKY Q box and then using the RF output on the modulator to the existing coax system, still provide a signal around the other TV sets.  Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

Re: Sky Q distribution around house via HDMI modulator

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@P1stonbroke  This Triax modulator is a typical example;

HDMI modulator.jpg

Godfrey.

P1stonbroke
Topic Author
This message was authored by P1stonbroke This message was authored by: P1stonbroke

Godfrey   thanks for your assistance

This message was authored by Keith65 This message was authored by: Keith65

Hi I have a similar issue

I am currently a SKY HD+ user and use the RF2 output to distribute both Freeview and Sky channels to a distribution unit in the loft.

It is an 8 way distribution unit and feeds 5 other TVs in various rooms.

I have received an email stating my SKY HD+ box will no longer be receiving and offering a SKY Q box for no installation cost.

I understand that Sky Q box has no RF output.

The question I have is if I elect to install a SKY Q box how will I be able to distribute both Freeview and Sky channels to my distribution box.

I have seen from previous posts that the use of something like an Edison AV modulator or this Triax modulator can be used to distribute the signals but will this distribute both Freeview and Sky channels through the modulator to the distribution box?

From the diagram my understanding would be that the Sky Q box would connect to the Triax and not the TV.

The Freeview aerial connection would connect to the Triax box as well.

There would be a HDMI out cable from Triax to TV to carry Sky signals from Sky Q box.

The RF1 out would be connected to the TV for Freeview channels

The RF2 out would connect to the distribution box in the loft.

Would the RF2 out signal carry both the Sky signals and Freeview signals as part of the same signal?

Which is the best AV modulator to use for distributing the signals?

This message was authored by Pogit This message was authored by: Pogit

I ised to have 4 SKY+HD boxes in a sytem like yours.  Then i was uograded to SkyQ. They now dont call SkyQ an upgrade becaus eit isnt.  The biggest trouble toull have is cost Q is UHD and UHD  Modulators are expensive and theres alot of blocking going on.   My current set up Is the main Q box to the main TV ans a Sky mini (which are HD only) plugged into a new HD modulator into  my existing setup i also upgraded my CCTV modulator to HD at the same time.  Bewarned ijf you have old TVs that dont have DVB-T2 modulators then they wont pick uo the channel of the HD modulator.      Look up DVB-T2 modulators in your online shopping site but your looking at £150-200 per box. And there no guarantee on how long they will be compatible (HD only remember no 4K)

SkyQ 2TBv3 (32B206 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) on LGUM7400, SkyQMini (32D0B2 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) Virgin Media BB.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion