Discussion topic: Q box goes to standby mode just after switching on

This message was authored by JFSomerset This message was authored by: JFSomerset

Q box goes to standby mode just after switching on

Our Q box switches back to standby a few seconds after switching it on, also when switching from tv to streaming. It's never done this before - had it for 5 years. Been happening for a few days now. 
Once switched on again it seems fine. The box is warm but not overly hot and has plenty of ventilation. Have tried switching off at the plug but the reset hasn't worked. Doesn't seem to be linked to any particular channel. Anyone else had this type of problem? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Q box goes to standby mode just after switching on

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JFSomerset wrote:

@oldfella  Sadly the reset hasn't worked. Will have to get in touch with Sky. 

Looks like the best option @JFSomerset 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@JFSomerset wrote:

Our Q box switches back to standby a few seconds after switching it on, also when switching from tv to streaming. It's never done this before - had it for 5 years. Been happening for a few days now. 
Once switched on again it seems fine. The box is warm but not overly hot and has plenty of ventilation. Have tried switching off at the plug but the reset hasn't worked. Doesn't seem to be linked to any particular channel. Anyone else had this type of problem? 

Hi @JFSomerset 

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

JFSomerset
Topic Author
This message was authored by JFSomerset This message was authored by: JFSomerset

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@JFSomerset wrote:

Looks like the best option @JFSomerset 

This message was authored by Sunman239 This message was authored by: Sunman239

Did Sky get you sorted? I'm getting the same problem with both main and mini boxes, going back into standby shortly after turning on. Annoying!

JFSomerset
Topic Author

@Sunman239 

Hi, just been on to Sky who said to go into Settings, then Set up and if the standby is in Eco mode change it to Active which should solve the problem. Will have to wait and see if it works. Hope this helps. 

My q boxes were already set to Active standby mode, so this was not the issue. However, in the same menu (preferences) I turned off the new "smart standby mode" having seen it mentioned in another thread as causing this problem.  That seems to have sorted it.

Settings> set up> preferences> smart standby mode> off

This message was authored by rchrds This message was authored by: rchrds

We had a similar problem that started around the same time with Sky Q & LG C9 where the box would go into standby without notice and no sign of a crash.

A reset didn't work so an engineer replaced the box, all good until about a week later and suddenly it starts happening again. My guess is the box has finally updated to the offending software.

I've turned off smart standby and it hasn't happened in 24 hours so we'll see if that's the culprit.

JFSomerset
Topic Author

Hi @rchrds 

@we got a new box as well and it required a software update straight away so did that and then it did the shutdown thing again within 24 hours. Turned off smart standby and it hasn't done it since. Hopefully that's sorted it now. 

It's amazing that Sky send out engineers, replace boxes etc without actually determining the cause of the problem. In this case, the "Smart Standby" in the recent software update appears to be the culprit and needs to be sorted out.  They could then save a lot of wasted time and money..

This message was authored by rchrds This message was authored by: rchrds

The issue is clearly not widespread as this is the only thread I found on the forum about it, probably a specific quirk with our setups. Here's mine:-

LG C9 (2019) OLED - HDMI CEC ON

HDMI1: Sky Q 2TB (Eco mode ON, wired to mesh/wifi OFF, issue on v2 & v3 box) 

HDMI2 ARC: Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase

Things I've tried: 001 settings reset, reset remotes, block IR receiver, resit HDMI cable, CEC auto power sync OFF

The only other possibility I can think of (other than some wired ethernet issue) is that it's some HDMI ARC/CEC/audio codec conflict so I'll try removing the sound base and reenabling smart standby.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion