Discussion topic: Mistakenly Deleting a Programme

This message was authored by MarkJ22 This message was authored by: MarkJ22

Mistakenly Deleting a Programme

I think the way in which the selection and deletion process works when selecting or delteing programmes is flawed. I have made the mistake as has my Mother in Law and a couple of my friends and they all say the way the system works is wrong.. To explain.....

My MiL had recorded Silent Witness and had episodes 7 and 8 to watch. (At 88 yrs old she isnt super literate with Sky Q but manages to do most things). She selected recordings and Eps 7 and 8 were available. She highlighted 7 and pressed to watch.

Once she had finshed she went back to the recordings page and to her Silent Witness recordings and pressed down onto the DELETE button for episode 7. She pressed delete and it deleted as expected but she mistakenly pressed again and it deleted episode 8 too. She didnt realise she had done this and then spent ages wonderign where it had gone (more of this later)

The system issue here is that when you delete a programme in a series it deletes it and then moves across to the delte button of the next episode. Surely it would make more sense if when then next programme moves across the cusror went back to the main thumbnail of the next espisode with the play button highlighted.?? 

As I mentioned, me, my wife and friedns have all made this mistake and dleted a programme unwittingly when we expected the next episode to play!!!

I think Sky should amend the software so that the next programme in a series is ready to play NOT to delete.

Yes of course you can find programmes that have been deleted in the "Manage" section and this is what I do but my MiL didnt know this was possible so we had a call and I talked her through. Have to say she was very happy when we undeleted Epsoiod 8 of Silent Witness!!!

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Mistakenly Deleting a Programme

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MarkJ22 wrote:

I think Sky should amend the software so that the next programme in a series is ready to play NOT to delete.

We've all done it but sadly I suspect the software won't be changed.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@MarkJ22 wrote:

I think the way in which the selection and deletion process works when selecting or delteing programmes is flawed. I have made the mistake as has my Mother in Law and a couple of my friends and they all say the way the system works is wrong.. To explain.....

My MiL had recorded Silent Witness and had episodes 7 and 8 to watch. (At 88 yrs old she isnt super literate with Sky Q but manages to do most things). She selected recordings and Eps 7 and 8 were available. She highlighted 7 and pressed to watch.

Once she had finshed she went back to the recordings page and to her Silent Witness recordings and pressed down onto the DELETE button for episode 7. She pressed delete and it deleted as expected but she mistakenly pressed again and it deleted episode 8 too. She didnt realise she had done this and then spent ages wonderign where it had gone (more of this later)

The system issue here is that when you delete a programme in a series it deletes it and then moves across to the delte button of the next episode. Surely it would make more sense if when then next programme moves across the cusror went back to the main thumbnail of the next espisode with the play button highlighted.?? 

As I mentioned, me, my wife and friedns have all made this mistake and dleted a programme unwittingly when we expected the next episode to play!!!

Yes of course you can find programmes that have been deleted in the "Manage" section and this is what I do but my MiL didnt know this was possible so we had a call and I talked her through. Have to say she was very happy when we undeleted Epsoiod 8 of Silent Witness!!!

The method you've stated suggests that the recording still should be in recording, manage, deleted folder.

MarkJ22
Topic Author

@cuke wrote:

The method you've stated suggests that the recording still should be in recording, manage, deleted folder.

Yes thats absolutely correct. The programme can be recovered using the manage and undelete prcoess but if the software simply moved the cursor to the next progranmmes "play" fingernail then this woudlnt be needed. And for my 88 year old MiL it was quite a process to recover her programme

This message was authored by JessieJ This message was authored by: JessieJ

Absolutely agree, the delete button drives me absolutely insane! The amount of times I've deleted one episode, and when you think you're pressing play to watch the next one, you're actually deleting it… Then you have to go in and recover it from the delete folder. It drives me nuts! I really wish after you press delete, the cursor then moves back up to the next program like it used to. It's not just the older generation that struggling with this 😂

MarkJ22
Topic Author

Just on a straw poll of my friends after my MiL's experience I knew this was a wider issue.

I know there are superusers on here who feed information and ideas back to Sky so maybe can if them could do that as I genuinely believe it is something that could be improved for customers 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion