Discussion topic: Mini boxes keep disconnecting

This message was authored by BrianJ1949 This message was authored by: BrianJ1949

Mini boxes keep disconnecting

Despite reading all the other experiences of people having disconnections with their mini boxes, I have tried all the options, at one point I thought it had cured,  but now its worse than ever.  I am watching TV via a mini box and it will work for a minute then stop for a similar time.   I  have had these mini boxes for several years now without any problems.   The problems started a few weeks ago and I thought that it may have been my internet connection, but I spotted a response to someone else where the answer was that the internet was not actually involved with mini box connection.   The messages that I get seem to say that the faults are due to NO internet connection , so why is this ?  As it occurs with all three of my mini boxes (the most I use is two at once) I can only conclude that it must be the main Sky box that is at fault.  How do I get this seen to ?!   

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Mini boxes keep disconnecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Who provides your internet and how is it setup?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@BrianJ1949 wrote:

Despite reading all the other experiences of people having disconnections with their mini boxes, I have tried all the options, at one point I thought it had cured,  but now its worse than ever.  I am watching TV via a mini box and it will work for a minute then stop for a similar time.   I  have had these mini boxes for several years now without any problems.   The problems started a few weeks ago and I thought that it may have been my internet connection, but I spotted a response to someone else where the answer was that the internet was not actually involved with mini box connection.   The messages that I get seem to say that the faults are due to NO internet connection , so why is this ?  As it occurs with all three of my mini boxes (the most I use is two at once) I can only conclude that it must be the main Sky box that is at fault.  How do I get this seen to ?!   

Hi @BrianJ1949 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the minis.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.  Start with the mini nearest to the main Q box.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you are on Sky Broadband and the Router is nearer to the mini than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on the router instead of the main Q box. If you do this make sure you press the Sky router WPS button and not the router reset button.

When you carry out the Network reset on the second mini you can use the first mini for WPS if nearer than the main Q box.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

BrianJ1949
Topic Author
This message was authored by BrianJ1949 This message was authored by: BrianJ1949

I use TalkTalk via FTTC at 60 GBS.  I have contacted them and they tested the line and said the connection does not have any faults

BrianJ1949
Topic Author

Sorry old chap  but I've done that last week !    

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

As a non-Sky ISP then the main box will only connect over 2.4GHz.  It's usually best to configure the router with split SSID's.

The Q boxes will use their own 5GHz network on channel 36/80MHz width - you would need to ensure the TT router avoids channels 36 to 48.

Otherwise, perhaps there is a fault...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
BrianJ1949
Topic Author

I have tried turning off my 5 ghz channel and the Sky boxes are configured to use 2.4ghz.     I've tried everything that has been spoken about on Sky Community by others as there have been a lot of similar issues.   If this has suddenly become something common, maybe there has been some significant change made by Sky in the software ?  I have heard that they are moving towards using the internet to stream programs.  I doubt that they would do anything to inhibit satallite users though.  I have just reconfigured a repeater box, which itself caused problems when I first had Sky Q. In fact it ran better without the repeater than with it - for several years too !  

@BrianJ1949 wrote:

I have tried turning off my 5 ghz channel and the Sky boxes are configured to use 2.4ghz.     I've tried everything that has been spoken about on Sky Community by others as there have been a lot of similar issues.   If this has suddenly become something common, maybe there has been some significant change made by Sky in the software ?  I have heard that they are moving towards using the internet to stream programs.  I doubt that they would do anything to inhibit satallite users though.  I have just reconfigured a repeater box, which itself caused problems when I first had Sky Q. In fact it ran better without the repeater than with it - for several years too !  

Exactly what is your repeater box and how is it positioned and connected @BrianJ1949 ?

BrianJ1949
Topic Author

@oldfella It's a Sky device given to me by the installer, it's in the place that she suggested putting it after using her hand held device that works out the best signal path (don't know what it is called)  At the moment the mini box that it was meant for it still OK. I haven't tried the other two yet ............

@BrianJ1949 wrote:

@oldfella It's a Sky device given to me by the installer, it's in the place that she suggested putting it after using her hand held device that works out the best signal path (don't know what it is called)  At the moment the mini box that it was meant for it still OK. I haven't tried the other two yet ............

Hi @BrianJ1949

If it is a Sky Q WiFi booster I assume it is connected by WPS to your main Q box and positioned between the main Q box and the nearest mini.  The mini should then be connected following a Network reset and WPS carried out on the booster.

I

BrianJ1949
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella Sorry for using the wrong terminology to me its just a box that relays the Wifi signal.   It is configured already, they don't lose the previous configuration.      At the moment everything is stable,  but  I will reserve judgement for a day or two.      

BrianJ1949
Topic Author

Something I noticed to day when the problem occured on Mini Box number 2 was that I could not get the mini box to reconnect at all until I switched the main Sky Q box on (from standby of course)  once again this did not need to be done in the past, but it does seem to make the mini box cut out far less.  It's still annoying though.  I have tried to contact Sky but they only seem to use senseless bots that ask the same question over and over with no means of me saying that the probelm occurs again and again.  I am becoming quite competant at resetting the mini boxes communications with the main box .........

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion