Discussion topic: Hi, Can Alexa control my Sky Q box?

This message was authored by SueI22 This message was authored by: SueI22

Hi, Can Alexa control my Sky Q box?

Hi,

My mother has  dementia and  can't manage  any  but the most   simple remote.  She can turn  our Toshiba  TV  off  and   on with Alexa. It would  be so useful if  should  control the Sky Q box  to  change channels  etc. 

I have also  tried  to set up a very simple   'Flipper'  remote  for her,  but  that doesn't   seem  to work with Sky Q  either. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Re: Hi, Can Alexa control my Sky Q box?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SueI22   You will need a third party interface. I use a harmony hub. Unfortunately Logitech decided not to produce them anymore, but I sure there are alternatives. I simply say, Alexa, turn on BBC1 which turns on the Sky Q box and TV and changes the channel to BBC 1.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SueI22   You will need a third party interface. I use a harmony hub. Unfortunately Logitech decided not to produce them anymore, but I sure there are alternatives. I simply say, Alexa, turn on BBC1 which turns on the Sky Q box and TV and changes the channel to BBC 1.

SueI22
Topic Author
This message was authored by SueI22 This message was authored by: SueI22

@MightyQuinn many thanks,  I will look into that. Maybe I can get a second hand harmony hub on Ebay or something. 

This message was authored by GRR73 This message was authored by: GRR73

To control my Sky Q I use a Broadlink RM4 Mini Universal sender which I linked to Alexa. It meant that I could simply say "turn on tv" or "pause sky" to control both tv and sky. Although the native sky q remote uses radio frequency, it does work with IR too which means it can be automated. Good luck.

This message was authored by 8illyboy This message was authored by: 8illyboy

The box to use is a Broadlink RM3 mini at £23 from Amazon, or less for an RM4 from EBay. I can now control the sky q box completely using Alexa, including fast forward, up , down, play, favourites, home, select, every single key except voice control.

The secret is to use buttons 4 and 6 to set the sky q remote to IR, then use Alexa commands to control similar commands that you set up on the RM3.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion