Discussion topic: Download Failed - Remote Network Problem

This message was authored by StuartJeff This message was authored by: StuartJeff

Re: Download Failed - Remote Network Problem

I have further information regarding this issue whilst diagnosing for some of our customers - Rapid Rural

When a sky program is requested for download on the SKY Q interface the request goes to your configured DNS Server and ask for ondemand.cdnselector.skycdp.com which is on a round robin between two CDN (content delivery networks) 1. Akamai Networks and the 2. Limelight (Edgio). This is where the problem starts becuase either one of these two content delivery networks could hold a blacklist for your plublic ip address or range of addresses from your ISP.

In a specific test case we have been able to isolate any traffic going to the Limelight (Edgio) as creating a "failed download" while any requests that go to Akamai as completing succefully and the download working normally. We have taken this testing further and forced DNS resolution of ondemand.cdnselector.skycdp.com to the results for Akamai and this results in no failed downloads. 

In our findings we have found that the Content delivery network Limelight (edgio) is blocking IP's from our ISP network and this is causing the failed downloads. 

@notagain By changing the DNS server you are adjusting the likleyhood of the CDN you will hit and in some cases works but will not fix it perminantely and will eventually route to the blacklisted route and gives a failed download. 

The solution we are working on is to get our IP addresses whitlesisted with Limelight (Edgio) which will results in no more failed downloads!

This message was authored by AJT23 This message was authored by: AJT23

Hi

This sounds promising. Have you had any luck. My move to 1.1.1.1 works some of the time, but not all.

At least the issue is now clear!

Thanks

This message was authored by StuartJeff This message was authored by: StuartJeff

Still awaiting a response from Limelight the CDN following a packet capture of the failure on their side. 

Tks. 

This message was authored by Charlesholden This message was authored by: Charlesholden

I've found that requesting a download to the box via the Sky Go app seems to work. 

This message was authored by seanreay1986 This message was authored by: seanreay1986

Hi, I have a similar issue when attempting to download anything from Catch Up on SkyQ - It starts downloading but doesn't move from 0%

strange thing is that anything downloaded from BBC or ITV channels works fine but anything else (Sky, Channel 4 etc) doesnt

any suggestions on what to try or would amending the DNS on the SkyQ box to 1.1.1.1 sort the issue?

@Sky Any feedback on this issue as I have tried multiple boxes now and different Internet connections and the issue is still the same. Was working fine a few weeks ago before my box was swapped out the first time round 

Who is your ISP?

This message was authored by seanreay1986 This message was authored by: seanreay1986

Sorry i had to restyle my post and left that info out. It's Plusnet

It's a sky issue as shown by my original post  but you can try setting DNS on your sky box to 1.1.1.1 which will mean it should work some of the time for you. 

Thanks

Seen this across multiple forums so surely Sky are aware of a wider issue in play here. Spent a while speaking to their tech support over the past week who weren't able to help and don't appear to be aware of a wider issue (hence another box replacement 🤦‍♂️)

I'm with Rural Broadband. Changes the settings and it works most of the time. One of RR's staff was liaising with Sky to have their Ip address added as it's one of the ad serving systems which always makes it fail. 

bloody irritating but my wife hasn't mentioned it for a few weeks so it must be OK! Good luck. 

Me123321123
Topic Author
This message was authored by Me123321123 This message was authored by: Me123321123

I believe that Rapid Rural have now implemented a fix...  I've move to Sky Stream so download isn't an issue anymore. 

This message was authored by Wasif This message was authored by: Wasif

I had the same issue as the ones reported above. I was using Google Mesh routers. The problem was indeed the DNS entry. I changed the option in the router from "Automatic" (which uses google DNS) to ISP (which uses the DNS provided by ISP.  This immediately fixed the problem and I was able start downloading "The Wire" TV series immediately.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion