Discussion topic: Do i have to have a tv connected to the main sky box for it to work

This message was authored by lizzielou70 This message was authored by: lizzielou70

Do i have to have a tv connected to the main sky box for it to work

I want to reposition my main tv. i can leave the sky box plugged in but it won't be connected to the tv - will sky work if this is the case 

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Do i have to have a tv connected to the main sky box for it to work

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yes, the main box will operate without a TV connected.

I presume you have miniboxes?   (Remember they don't support UHD if you have a sub)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
lizzielou70
Topic Author
This message was authored by lizzielou70 This message was authored by: lizzielou70

That's  v helpful thanks. so do i just unplug the tv from the sky box and move the tv - sorry if i sound thick.! and would i need another sky q box on the tv that's no longer linked to the main sky box so i can change chanel's ?

lizzielou70
Topic Author

mini boxes i mean not sky q!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@lizzielou70 wrote:

would i need another sky q box on the tv that's no longer linked to the main sky box so i can change chanel's ?

Yes, unless there's a long HDMI cable between the existing box and the television set, you'd need both a Q Mini box and the Multiscreen subscription: this is a fairly substantial extra monthly cost.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

The main box can only display a picture via HDMI cable.  There's no easy 'wireless' option.

Otherwise you'll need a mini box and multi screen subscription.  This is primarily intended to run multiple screens rather than an 'extender'.

Alternatively, you can pay to have the satellite cables moved.

lizzielou70
Topic Author

so if i paid for the subscription. of another multi screen i wouldn't need the hdmi to the the telly and the sky box ? 

lizzielou70
Topic Author

sorry if i sound thick !

lizzielou70
Topic Author

do you know how many tvs you can have off one multi room subscription ? 

lizzielou70
Topic Author

says online 4. We have a couple on multi room so surely i could just buy another multi room box ? before i move the tv and wall mount it can you confirm ? many thanks liz 

Do you currently have a multiscreen subscription?  (And mini box?)

lizzielou70
Topic Author

yes. I have just unplugged the hdmi from the tv and left the sky box power on and it drops the sky signal in the other room so I think Im going to have to get their engineer to move the sky box onto a different wall with a tv on it for the £65 charge. As it doesnt seem to work if there is no tv connected to the box ... Then hope the new position of the satalite dish works ! Would you agree. I do have a different tv on an outside wall. Moving the cables to the existing tv isnt an option

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion