Discussion topic: Connecting Mini Box via ethernet question.

This message was authored by MWMWMW77 This message was authored by: MWMWMW77

Connecting Mini Box via ethernet question.

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Issue is connecting a new mini box in my garden office - it is 100ft away from the house so can't do wirelessly, plus house is conrete construction so no signals go far!

What I currently have:

UHD box in lounge, ethernet cabled to unmanaged switch, ethernet cable then goes to my Virgin Business router. Works great.

Mini box in Kitchen, connected via wifi. Works great.

Mini box in Bedroom, connected via wifi. Works great.

In the office I have the new mini box, ethernet cabled to Victure wireless access point, ethernet cable going from Victure to Virgin Business router. When TV in office is turned on I have all the menu stuff showing, recordings showing etc, but no TV guide, no live TV and "technical fault" on screen. 

In settings it shows as Network connected, box connected. When i had the 2 minis on in the house it gave the message that couldnt be viewed as 2 boxes already in use, so it knows its there!!!

Tried resetting mini box, restarting main box then restarting mini, still "technical fault".

Any ideas??

Best Answers
MWMWMW77
Topic Author
This message was authored by MWMWMW77 This message was authored by: MWMWMW77 Answer

Re: Connecting Mini Box via ethernet question.

@oldfella I have got it working - i have run everything through unmanaged switches, then etherneted off those back to my managed router etc - so the connection from Q box to mini effectively ends up unmanaged. That way seems to work across the board all round the house so happy days!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @MWMWMW77 

With the Ethernet connected try a Network Reset on the mini found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Do not carry out out any WPS and just wait to see if the mini will connect.

If it does connect go immediately into the mini box hidden menu and turn off WiFi. 

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

MWMWMW77
Topic Author

Tried this and no luck yet.. same Technical Issues message...

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@MWMWMW77 Have you ruled out a box issue by switching it with one of the working Mini Boxes. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
MWMWMW77
Topic Author

Good idea. Will give it a go. 

MWMWMW77
Topic Author

Tried my kitchen mini box and same message. 
have booked an engineers visit but will still try to fix beforehand! 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@MWMWMW77 wrote:

Tried my kitchen mini box and same message. 
have booked an engineers visit but will still try to fix beforehand! 

Hi @MWMWMW77 

Have you tried connecting the Ethernet from your router direct into the Q mini (instead of connecting via your Access point).

You will need to carry out the Network reset on the mini again as described in my earlier post.

MWMWMW77
Topic Author
This message was authored by MWMWMW77 This message was authored by: MWMWMW77 Answer

@oldfella I have got it working - i have run everything through unmanaged switches, then etherneted off those back to my managed router etc - so the connection from Q box to mini effectively ends up unmanaged. That way seems to work across the board all round the house so happy days!

This message was authored by KScott This message was authored by: KScott

Hi, hopefully you are still tracking this thread as I have a very similar scenario. 
today I had Full fibre to premises installed (not Sky) and want to know how and if I can connect all 5 of my sky boxes via Ethernet. 

new router (eero pro 6 supplied by new fibre provider) only has 1 spare port. Can I connect this to a switch and then just plug all my sky still into the switch and it will all communicate with each other. If I turn off WiFi on sky equipment will to still stream tv over Ethernet to all the mini boxes? I under stand than turning off WiFi on sky boxes mean the only WiFi I will have will be from the eero 6 router however I plan on extending this with a access point also connected via Ethernet. 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@KScott wrote:

Hi, hopefully you are still tracking this thread as I have a very similar scenario. 
today I had Full fibre to premises installed (not Sky) and want to know how and if I can connect all 5 of my sky boxes via Ethernet. 

new router (eero pro 6 supplied by new fibre provider) only has 1 spare port. Can I connect this to a switch and then just plug all my sky still into the switch and it will all communicate with each other. If I turn off WiFi on sky equipment will to still stream tv over Ethernet to all the mini boxes? I under stand than turning off WiFi on sky boxes mean the only WiFi I will have will be from the eero 6 router however I plan on extending this with a access point also connected via Ethernet. 

@KScott what you are planning should work when you get a switch make sure it's an unmanaged switch as managed switches don't play well with Sky Q boxes all Q boxes will need to be etherneted back to the router you can turn wifi off on all boxes 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Leahmason This message was authored by: Leahmason

It don't work don't no if box or remote won't come on the green light 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Leahmason wrote:

It don't work don't no if box or remote won't come on the green light 

Did you reply to the wrong thread?

This message was authored by MJNew This message was authored by: MJNew

Hope you are still tracking this thread. 

I want to do something similar, so thanks for the tip to connect everything via ethernet through an unmanaged switch. 

I notice you say you can (should?) turn off the wifi on the sky Q (main & Mini) boxes. I;d prefer to leave these on if possible to extend the wifi of the router further around the house using those sky TV boxes. 

Do you see an issue with leaving wifi turned ON on the SKY Q TV boxes?

Thx in advance.  

This message was authored by KScott This message was authored by: KScott

If you leave WiFi turned on with the mini boxes they may try and use WiFi to stream the live tv and recordings.

what I do know is what is working in my set up. 

Fibre router connected to Sky UHD box via WiFi as they are in same room. UHD box then connected to unmanaged switch which has 8 cat 5 ports and another 4 with power over eathernet. All mini boxes has WiFi turned off and are wired back to switch. My WiFi network is done using power over Ethernet access points wired back to switch PoE ports. All working well. 
*costs wise:*

box of cat 5e cable. 
20 x cat 5 plugs and crimp tool

2x unmannaged switches (1 has PoE)

install made easier as I live in converted bungalow with access to each room ceiling void through attic crawl spaces so add to materials a lot of time and sweat running cables through attic back to the switch

best advice I can give is buy 300m box of cable and try setting it up running cables loose through house. One you have proven it all works in each room as you like then go for install. You maybe want to look into power line eathernet adapters if running new cable is problematical.

note to self: If I ever rewire a house, run 2 x cat 6 cables through to every room and feed them all to a central location near phone line or fibre point of access.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Yep. Leaving wifi on seems to encourage the sky boxes to forget they've got an eth connection

Better to buy a wifi mesh for general purpose use.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion