Discussion topic: Doorbell wifi

This message was authored by Hastingsgirl72 This message was authored by: Hastingsgirl72

Doorbell wifi

next issue in life setting this all up. 
my router is in a back room and some distance from my doorbell I bought an extender to boost signal but still it's not helped the doorbell getting more signal.

I placed the extender in my hall so closer to the doorbell but still low signal it says on the app. It's boosted everything else around my house 🙄

What can I try next any ideas? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mikewitney This message was authored by: Mikewitney Answer

Re: Doorbell wifi

I had the same problem.    The problem is the doorbell does not connect to the WiFi but it connects to the chime.  The chime needs to be near the bell it's self but also needs to be plugged in to a router.   It's a bad design flaw.  As the doorbell it's self does not connet to WiFi it needs to connect to the chime to give it wifi and access to Internet.  So you need a WiFi extender with an ether net port on it so you can plug it in near the doorbell and if u ha e the same problem as me now you can't hear the chime from your living room as the dam thing is too quiet and too far away from my living space 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hastingsgirl72 wrote:

next issue in life setting this all up. 
my router is in a back room and some distance from my doorbell I bought an extender to boost signal but still it's not helped the doorbell getting more signal.

I placed the extender in my hall so closer to the doorbell but still low signal it says on the app. It's boosted everything else around my house 🙄

What can I try next any ideas? 

@Hastingsgirl72 that won't work as the doorbell connects to the chime  and not your router its the chime that connects to the router so you will need to find away to move the chime closer to the doorbell ie a longer ethernet cable from the router to the chime

It would be better if the chime connected to the router by wifi but thats not the case hopefully this could be rectified in future updates to the equipment. Assuming there will be updated equipment 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
Hastingsgirl72
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hastingsgirl72 This message was authored by: Hastingsgirl72

All the cables are just so short I ordered a 2 meter Ethernet cable but now I think maybe I should of got longer 🙄

This message was authored by Mikewitney This message was authored by: Mikewitney Answer

I had the same problem.    The problem is the doorbell does not connect to the WiFi but it connects to the chime.  The chime needs to be near the bell it's self but also needs to be plugged in to a router.   It's a bad design flaw.  As the doorbell it's self does not connet to WiFi it needs to connect to the chime to give it wifi and access to Internet.  So you need a WiFi extender with an ether net port on it so you can plug it in near the doorbell and if u ha e the same problem as me now you can't hear the chime from your living room as the dam thing is too quiet and too far away from my living space 

Hastingsgirl72
Topic Author

Thank you i got a 15 meter etgernet cable and to get the chime closer to thd door bell and then had to get a 3 meter extention lead to plug the chime in. 

It now works but i've wires everywhere 🙄

This message was authored by Mikewitney This message was authored by: Mikewitney

Me too this little design flaw is a pain in the **bleep**.    Why the bell does not connect to the WiFi on its own is stupid.  I'm very close to handing it all back and claiming. It fit for use

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion