Discussion topic: Existing Customer, New Phone not showing on account

This message was authored by Steve178 This message was authored by: Steve178

Existing Customer, New Phone not showing on account

I ordered a new phone through MySky - my products section, but all the emails etc are worded as if I've set up a brand new account and it won't link to my account when I click 'I already have a Sky ID' (account is already linked error). The new phone doesn't show on my account, when I just called Sky they told me there must have been an error in the process.

I was told that they couldn't sort this error out for me, and that I should set up this phone as a new SkyID, then link it to my existing account, but that I would still be paying for 2 SIM plans, so I would need to cancel one if I didn't want it. I'm not sure why I would be implementing some kind of workaround (which could easily result in me cancelling my service), when the error was in the Sky system.

Is this a common thing, how would it work in practice to make sure it doesn't cause additional errors?

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Existing Customer, New Phone not showing on account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

This does happen for reasons unknown in that the additional device isn't on the same account that the other one is on so you will have to do as they suggested and if you have activated a second sim and don't want to use it you will have to call them back on 150 to have them cancel it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Steve178
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't activated the SIM, so this should work (relatively) smoothly, to set up a new account and link, then i won't be getting charged 2 SIM's due to it not being activated?

It's kind of weird that the customer has to 

If the sim isn't activated then it will be cancelled after 30 days so you will not be charged for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Steve178
Topic Author

Thanks again,

The new SIM was the same price (maybe £1 dearer) but with a lot more data. Will I still get the increased data or does reusing the old SIM and effectively cancelling the new one mean I'm stuck on the lower data plan? With the accounts not linking correctly, and no info direct from Sky, it's not clear what will happen.

Appreciate you aren't a Sky employee so this part isn't directed at you. It would be nice if Sky actually had some guidance on it if it's a known issue, or if they tried to solve the issue themselves. I run a tech company, obviously way smaller than Sky, but there's no way I would ever put a workaround onto a customer to sort. If we had a recurring issue we'd implement a fix, rather than just shrug and move on because it just happens sometimes. My other half is due to renew and won't do it with Sky in case this happens, I won't renew either after this contract ends because of the hassle factor, they must lose a lot of repeat customers.

The two sims are independent of each other so you need to decide which one you want to use if you plan to have just one that you are paying for. This would be the case even if they were both on the same account.

Steve178
Topic Author

I didn't order a second sim, I ordered a new phone and data plan, to replace my current data plan. The second one is a Sky error. Does that mean I need to activate it to activate the new data plan and then call 150 to cancel the old sim and data plan?

@Steve178 wrote:

Does that mean I need to activate it to activate the new data plan and then call 150 to cancel the old sim and data plan?

You did order a second sim as you ordered a new data plan hence the new sim. If you do activate the new sim and cancel the order one then you will have a new number.

Steve178
Topic Author

I ordered an upgrade through MySky, I didn't request or need a new sim, only a new data plan I had to sign up to as part of the upgrade that should have been transferred to my account. Because of an error by Sky that didn't happen.

There should be a defined process from Sky for something that's a known issue. Because the phone isn't on my account, I need to know if cancelling the new data plan by not registering the sim will leave me liable for any costs. Quoting the key information:

• A 12 month minimum term applies to your Sky Mobile service.
• If you end your Sky Mobile contract in your minimum term, you may have to pay us an early termination charge. You may be able to reduce this by changing data plan before you terminate.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion