Discussion topic: Data Plan / Sim Query re New Phone

This message was authored by mikehill58 This message was authored by: mikehill58

Data Plan / Sim Query re New Phone

I currently just have a 2GB Sky data plan for my existing number. I have just ordered a new i-phone 15 from Sky to replace my previous i-phone SE (also from Sky), the separate contract for which expired last year. When completing the order I came to the data plan page and opted for a 5GB plan for the same price as my existing 2GB plan rather than selecting "I do not need a data plan" and then amending the existing plan separately in MySky.

Will they simply amend my existing data plan from 2GB to 5GB or will I now effectively have two plans - the existing 2GB one and a new 5GB one? The emails received to date are not clear on this, and there is some reference to being sent a sim with the phone etc, and on MySky to activating a sim for the new data plan. I obviously want to ensure that I keep my existing number on the new phone as it will then be the phone I use. Any advice on what I should or shouldn't do to ensure that I just have one data plan and my existing number after setting up the new phone? I had assumed that I would simply transfer my existing sim to the new phone in the setting up process. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Data Plan / Sim Query re New Phone

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mikehill58 wrote:

Will they simply amend my existing data plan from 2GB to 5GB or will I now effectively have two plans - the existing 2GB one and a new 5GB one?

From what you have said it might be that you have ordered a second sim so you would be paying for two of them. If a new sim turns up then see if the 5GB sim shows up on the activation page because if it does then you will be paying for two of them if you activate it, if you do not do this then it will be cancelled after 30 days so you will not be charged for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

@mikehill58 wrote:

Will they simply amend my existing data plan from 2GB to 5GB or will I now effectively have two plans - the existing 2GB one and a new 5GB one?

From what you have said it might be that you have ordered a second sim so you would be paying for two of them. If a new sim turns up then see if the 5GB sim shows up on the activation page because if it does then you will be paying for two of them if you activate it, if you do not do this then it will be cancelled after 30 days so you will not be charged for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

As it stands if you active the new SIM then you'll have 2 numbers and 2 plans - and will be paying for both.

You have the following options if you want to keep your number:

1. Do not activate the new plan and move your SIM to your new phone (But will be 2GB plan)

2. Do not activate the new plan and call Sky and see if they'll apply the new offer to your current SIM

3. Activate the new plan - PAC code the old SIM out of the network and then PAC code it back to the new SIM

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
mikehill58
Topic Author
This message was authored by mikehill58 This message was authored by: mikehill58

Thanks to both @caesarome and @PandJ2020 for your answers to my query. I will simply transfer my existing sim to the new phone and not activate the new 5GB Sim on the basis of your indication that it will then simply be cancelled after 31 days. This seems the easier option than trying to contact Sky to formally cancel the new Sim/Plan. I see now that I can change my existing Sim on the 2GB plan to the 5GB option for the same price anyway.

After receiving your answers I noticed from various previous threads that this seems to be a common issue - customers ordering new data plans when updating their phones without realising that this would be in addition to their existing plan rather than simply changing it, and that it would also mean a new number if the new Sim is activated.

I do think that Sky could make their order pages a little clearer on this. perhaps the "I don't want/need a data plan" button could be changed to a "I already have a Sky data plan" button or an additional button to that effect added, and the page could make clearer the effects of ordering a new plan as regards phone number. When you see something asking if you want or need a data plan when ordering a new phone you think "of course I do". I thought I was just amending my existing plan - it could be made clearer.

Pleased to see that many others have succumbed to this or related errors relating to taking out new plans and thanks again for putting my mind at rest. Sky could adjust their data plan page but at least they don't require you to formally cancel an error of this nature - simply allow it to lapse by not activating.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion