Discussion topic: Sky Go App Freezes at 'Checking Updates'

This message was authored by SkyTraveller This message was authored by: SkyTraveller

Sky Go App Freezes at 'Checking Updates'

I've checked previous posts on this and none resolve this issue. I'm on a Win11 laptop and I've had this problem now for about 2 weeks. It looks like previous issues have been closed, unresolved, hence why I've opened this new thread. I've attempted the 'fixes' suggested in previous threads to no avail. Please sort this out as I'm paying for a service that I'm not getting. Pretty useless having a mobile app that cannot be used when mobile!!

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Sky Go App Freezes at 'Checking Updates'

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky has released a new trial version if you want to try it:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Join-the-Latest-Sky-Go-Trial-for-PC-Windows-and-Mac/m-p/410...

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Sky has released a new trial version if you want to try it:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Join-the-Latest-Sky-Go-Trial-for-PC-Windows-and-Mac/m-p/410...

__________________________________________________________________________________________
SkyTraveller
Topic Author
This message was authored by SkyTraveller This message was authored by: SkyTraveller

Thanks Caesarome, installed via the link and all seems to be working fine.

Cheers

Steve

This message was authored by BrianH This message was authored by: BrianH

I had the same problem for months and months and months.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling including latest beta release to no avail.

However, I finally got this working with a simple Windows 11 fix.
Try going into "Windows Security".
Then "Firewall & Network Protection".
Then "Allow an app through firewall".
Choose "Change Settings" and if Sky Go is not in the list (it probably isn't) choose "Allow another app".
Search for the "Sky Go.exe" file under AppData/Roaming and allow this through the firewall.

This worked first time for me after months of painful searching for answers on the web.

SkyTraveller
Topic Author

Cheers Brian, I haven't experienced any issues since I installed the Beta version suggested above. I will, however, keep in mind your advice if the problem returns.

This message was authored by CatherineMH This message was authored by: CatherineMH

I have the same problem on a Windows 10 Home platform. Usually use SkyGo on mobile/tablet, so possibly first time I've logged on with my computer. App opened and immediately went into "searching for updates", found one, my PC sought permission to install it, it installed and the app closed, but then reopened, again immediately into "searching for updates", but this time apparently finding none and then just closing. Every time I open the app, the fruitless search for updates starts immediately and then the app closes. Maddening.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@CatherineMH 

It might be worth uninstalling the app then installing it fresh for the Sky website so you get the latest version.

Uninstall the Sky Go app and then go to 'C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming (ensure hidden files/folders are visible) and delete the following folders:

Sky
Sky Go

And if it is present the Cisco and/or Synamedia folder in App\Data\LocalLow.
Empty your recycle bin.

Reboot your PC and then download and install the Sky Go app again.

This message was authored by CatherineMH This message was authored by: CatherineMH

Thanks. I did see your suggestion elsewhere in these related threads, but I'm not messing with Cisco. I use my home computer for work (for which the Cisco software is critical) and already have occasional problems with audio dropping out and other connectivity issues with my employer's systems, so I'm not tempting fate!

I will try uninstalling the SkyGo app and re-booting before re-installing and seeing where I get.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

The Cisco bits might not even be present but I would give the other bits ago as that are Sky Go related files only.

This message was authored by lplDave This message was authored by: lplDave

See BrianH's answer on 21st Nov.  That worked for me on Win10.

This message was authored by JayeshPatel67 This message was authored by: JayeshPatel67

I have experienced two different issues on my Win 11 laptop.  Firstly, often stuck on "Checking for Updates..." and secondly, once launched successfully, it cant see Sky Q box for recordings.  

I tried this suggestion though slightly different:

1. Naivgate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

2. RENAME any Sky folders.  I prefixed mine to OLD- thus:  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OLD-Sky and C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OLD-Sky Go

3. Opened Sky Go app and it downaloded an update, signed in and it found my Sky Q box.  

This works for me using this volatile app.  Thanks for the post caesarome

This message was authored by John202 This message was authored by: John202

That worked the first time for me, but soon as I closed and reopened Sky Go it was stuck on updating again.

This message was authored by Jake90UK This message was authored by: Jake90UK

Thank you BrianH - That worked for me!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion