Discussion topic: External output is blocked

This message was authored by BogeyNights This message was authored by: BogeyNights

Re: External output is blocked

Interesting thanks. Not a very elegant way to do it IMO, rule out a perfectly valid use case (display on a TV when travelling) just to squeeze money out of people. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BogeyNights wrote:

just to squeeze money out of people. 

Well, that is kind of the point of being in business ; )

Like I said, Sky never confirms such things, but I think it's possible to extrapolate from the requirement for Xbox, Playstation and Apple TV hardware to have the additional subscription in place.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by BogeyNights This message was authored by: BogeyNights

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Well, that is kind of the point of being in business ; )

Yes but no. Businesses that openly squeeze people earn no loyalty, which is fine if you have little competition but that is changing fast. Better to find the right balance.

Like I said, Sky never confirms such things, but I think it's possible to extrapolate from the requirement for Xbox, Playstation and Apple TV hardware to have the additional subscription in place.

But no requirement for laptops and PCs? Inconsistent. I think you're right though, consoles and ATV are an opportunity for them to capture new business through kids in their bedrooms. They probably can't figure out how to differentiate between an external screen (TV) attached to a laptop/PC  and a monitor, so it's easier to leave that be (and no doubt a far smaller problem to have to worry about).

Problem is, there's little that Sky offer that others don't now. We are maxed out on Sky Q boxes in our house so I bought a Roku stick for my son to use in his bedroom. It's brilliant, and if he goes to stay at a friends house he can take it with him (along with all of our other subscriptions) and they can watch movies etc there.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

It's harder to restrict HDMI out on a PC than a mobile device

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BogeyNights wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

But no requirement for laptops and PCs? Inconsistent. I think you're right though, consoles and ATV are an opportunity for them to capture new business through kids in their bedrooms. They probably can't figure out how to differentiate between an external screen (TV) attached to a laptop/PC  and a monitor, so it's easier to leave that be (and no doubt a far smaller problem to have to worry about).

As @Annie+UK indicates, detecting and blocking external HDMI output is a built-in function of Android and iOS, and so trivial for an app developer to implement.  Doing so on Windows or OSX is considerably more problematic.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TG This message was authored by: TG

This has happened to me all of a sudden and I followed your advice. No difference. Any other advice? I called Sky Tech support and they were no help at all......just advising removing app then doing a new installation / phone on and off. Never had a single issue before..........I have an Android phone

This message was authored by SAnjoli This message was authored by: SAnjoli

This issue was answered in anotherthread.just Switch off Dex

This message was authored by Gibby147 This message was authored by: Gibby147

Hi could anyone experiencing this try switching their location on their device to off

I tried this tonight and it worked

James

This message was authored by Clover2912 This message was authored by: Clover2912

Tried it but to no avail

This message was authored by Shazzyp69 This message was authored by: Shazzyp69

I had the same problem. Trying to watch any skygo programs on my tablet I got the error, external output blocked even though I wasn't trying to cast. Then noticed that my grandson must have pressed the DEX toggle. Once I turned this off the problem was solved. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion