Discussion topic: External output is blocked

This message was authored by Micdeb This message was authored by: Micdeb

External output is blocked

Hi all, I'm getting a message on my sky go app on my mobile saying: External display output is blocked, what do I need to do to get this sorted, I have tried installing the app a dozen times as advised but same thing keeps happening, would be very grateful if anyone could help, thanks Mark

Moderator note: subject of thread updated to better reflect the conversation

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Message

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Are you trying to connect the device the Sky Go app is installed on to a TV, if so and you are using a mobile or tablet then it isn't possible to do this as the message says so you will need to disconnect it,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Micdeb
Topic Author

Hi ,  It has been connected to my sky box for years, never had this trouble before, I've had it on my phone for years now all of a sudden it giving me that message, I'm totally confused to why, thanks for the message 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Micdeb 

The message is referring to an external display (i.e. a television screen) rather than to the 'sky box'.

Do you currently have your phone set to 'cast' or 'mirror' content?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

If it is your phone connected to your TV then you have been fortunate that is has worked previously as this is usually blocked due to rights reasons so I'm afraid there is no way to get it working.

If you have a laptop you can install the Sky Go app on it and connect it to a TV as this will work as this is not blocked.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Micdeb
Topic Author

Thanks for the help much appreciated 

Micdeb
Topic Author

Hi I've just had a new TV which my boy set up for me, can I stop it from blocking me, if so how would I go about that

If you want to watch Sky Go via it then as stated above you will need to install the app on a laptop and connect it to the TV otherwise there is no other way to do this.

Micdeb
Topic Author

Re: External output is blocked

Thanks, I use my phone to watch football at work mainly, thanks anyway

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@caesarome wrote:

If you want to watch Sky Go via it then as stated above you will need to install the app on a laptop and connect it to the TV otherwise there is no other way to do this.

Games console (Xbox, Playstation) 😉

This message was authored by SengaZiggy This message was authored by: SengaZiggy

Hi,

I had the same issue but have fixed it.

I went to the skygo app on my phone, held down and went to permissions. 

On mine, access to pictures and videos wasn't allowed, I changed this to allowed and presto the app began working.

Device is a Samsung 23 Ultra.

Hope this works!

This message was authored by BogeyNights This message was authored by: BogeyNights

I've just discovered this "feature" and it's pretty disappointing! We are going on holiday soon, staying within the UK. I was hoping to take my iPad and connect it via HDMI to the TV where we are staying so we can continue to watch Sky TV. I tested it last night and got the external output blocked error.

I don't understand the inconsistency - if I can do this from a laptop (as per an earlier post) why stop me doing it from an iPad? I'm not even screen sharing, I have an HDMI cable going from my iPad (via a dongle) directly to the TV.

We spend a lot of money every month with Sky, I think customers should be entitled to watch content on which ever device they choose. All of Sky's competitors allow it. Seems like another nail in Sky's coffin. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BogeyNights wrote:

I don't understand the inconsistency - if I can do this from a laptop (as per an earlier post) why stop me doing it from an iPad? I'm not even screen sharing, I have an HDMI cable going from my iPad (via a dongle) directly to the TV.

We don't know, and Sky won't say (my personal guess is it's a revenue-protection device insisted upon by the executives in charge of the satellite platforms to push extra subscription uptake).  All we can do is state that this has always been the case with Sky Go from phones and tablets.

This message was authored by BogeyNights This message was authored by: BogeyNights

Appreciate the feedback - wasn't expecting an answer, more hoping that this adds to any feedback Sky see/hear. I doubt they particularly care to be honest, but you can live in hope!

I'm not sure how this could drive additional subscription, unless they are trying to stop people casting to the TV down the pub and/or force them to subscribe. But with such a simple workaround as using a laptop (MacOS) rather than phone/tablet (iOS) that seems unlikely or shortsighted.

Sky are losing their grip on subscription TV, the only thing that keeps me there is the sports channel but Prime and BT Sport are drawing level and football has finished for a couple of months. I'm not generally one to flounce, but the upsides to Sky are getting smaller and smaller. I'd be interested to see what their churn rate is over the last 5 years, is that available anywhere?

@BogeyNights wrote:

I'm not sure how this could drive additional subscription

It prevents subscribers from using Go on phone/tablet as a no-cost version of Multiroom/Multiscreen/Whole Home, which are a considerable revenue source for Sky.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion