Discussion topic: Scam callers pretending to be Sky don't log into [removed]

This message was authored by HayleyAs This message was authored by: HayleyAs

Scam callers pretending to be Sky don't log into [removed]

Beware of anybody calling you on your house phone number advising that they are from the Sky technical department calling in relation to issues with your internet!!

Tried to get me to log into the following site [removed] following a very convincing conversation where they got me to test my internet speed (upload and download which were coming up very slow).  When I asked them to verify my sky account number / home address details, as I wasn't comfortable login into the site as it didn't look genuine, they tried to argue that they don't have them as they are from the technical department but told me they could verify my customer licence number via the command prompt run in Windows! I asked them to refer this back to customer services so I could verify that they were who they said they were and they eventually gave up and put the phone down on me.  Called Sky and have been told it is definitely not a sky site! :S

Moderator note: link to fraudulent website.

Best Answers
This message was authored by FernSparrow This message was authored by: FernSparrow Answer

Re: Scam callers pretending to be Sky don't log into [removed]

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi, 

For more info on what to do if you get a scam call or email click here, the page also has a link to Action Fraud where you can report a phishing attempt.

Hope that helps. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Federica-C This message was authored by: Federica-C

Thank you for sharing this @HayleyAs.

We've passed on the link internally. 

For future reference see Dealing with nuisance phone calls and texts.

Federica-C
Community Manager

We're interested in your ideas for improving Sky Go, Sky Q & Sky Broadband.

Browse the latest customer ideas or add your own. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

These have been reported on here before, the main thing to remember is that Sky will never call you saying there are issues on your line and to get you to login to a website. As you accessed the website I would run a full spyware/virus scan to be on the safe side.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Swim38 This message was authored by: Swim38

Hi.  The exact same thing has just happened to me.  They were very convincing but I wouldn't sign in to the site they wanted and told them I wanted to ring sky first to understand if it is legit.  They probably prey on Sky customers because it is impossible to get through on the phone to verify it is legit or not.  

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Swim38 wrote:

Hi.  The exact same thing has just happened to me.  They were very convincing but I wouldn't sign in to the site they wanted and told them I wanted to ring sky first to understand if it is legit.  They probably prey on Sky customers because it is impossible to get through on the phone to verify it is legit or not.  

This is nothing new it has been happening for years, everyone should be careful when handing out personal info to ANYONE

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Snap for BT/Openreach, Virgin

I have had all 3, they just phone a random number the odds are High they will find someone with the right ISP.

Usually an obvious scam particularly if you don't have the ISP they are pretending to be.

This message was authored by bentleybelle This message was authored by: bentleybelle

I had a call today, 0121 number, sounded dodgy, caller claimed to be from the sky technical dept. 
I put phone down.

This message was authored by STM20 This message was authored by: STM20

I have just had the same. Indian call centre sound/feel to the call but with a Plymouth number code!

Insisted on me getting a laptop or computer but got angry when I said why can't you use my phone to carry out this test. When I said that she wasn't making any sense (no pre warning emails etc) she hung up.

hope this helps

@STM20  This is one of the usual scams often claiming to be from Microsoft they are trying to get control of your PC to either steal information or to put some dodgy programme on it.

This message was authored by FernSparrow This message was authored by: FernSparrow Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi, 

For more info on what to do if you get a scam call or email click here, the page also has a link to Action Fraud where you can report a phishing attempt.

Hope that helps. 

This message was authored by Shussain786 This message was authored by: Shussain786

Hi Sky,

Just received a call from Sky technical support, to notify my of internet speed and the problem being my router.

I asked him for confirmation that he is from Sky, he said "good question " and said for me to take down my licence number as proof. 

I asked him for his name , he gave me some Greek name ( big giveaway when an Indian man gives a Fred on name Lol).

I asked him to send me an email from Sky to confirm an appointment time and to phone me back.

He asked me not to question his help, swore at me and hung up. 

Charming 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Shussain786 wrote:

Just received a call from Sky technical support, to notify my of internet speed

That is the tell tale sign that the call is from a scammer as Sky do not usually make such calls.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jules10 This message was authored by: jules10

I received a phone call fom <removed>. It was from Malasia. They wanted to inform me that

someone else was using my internet connection. My computer was not on at the time and they wanted me to turn it on and log into my account. Alarm bells started to ring so i hung up. 

moderator note: removed phone number

@jules10 wrote:

I received a phone call fom <removed>. It was from Malasia. They wanted to inform me that

someone else was using my internet connection. My computer was not on at the time and they wanted me to turn it on and log into my account. Alarm bells started to ring so i hung up. 

I get bored so sometimes I keep them on the phone as long as possible at least they are not trying to scam someone else. Usually they slam down the phone when I get to the bit when I say. "Ahh I have got an on screen message now, it says do you want to format the distant drive"

Hopefully they will mark my phone number as do not call, it is also fun to mix them up with a double glazing sales person.

This message was authored by Alison- This message was authored by: Alison-

I had this on 5th November, he phoned and woke me up, but my brain doesn't function until midday anyway, so he got lucky.  A phone number comes up, so don't be expecting a 'Private Number' or 'Withheld'.

I was also told there was a problem with my internet, he asked me if my box was switched on, in my sleepy mind I was picturing my TV box, that would be in stand by because I was asleep, so I unconvincingly said "no", then he was confused, who turns off their internet to go to bed!!!  He asked me again and I said "neither box will be on", he was confused again, then I found a brain cell that was awake and realised, "you mean the other box.... It's probably on, but no... you said it's not working, so... Probably not then".  This bloke now didn't have a clue what was going on so asked me again, so I said "if your saying there is a problem it might be off". 

So now another brain cells kicked in and I started to smell a rat, but then he started to get annoyed with me, so i was convinced it must be someone from Sky... Sorry Sky, but what con artist starts shouting at you to "Go and check!" And then tuts with frustration!?!

Con artist or not, I was cosy with warm tootsies so I said "No!  If there's a problem send an engineer", he perked up and bursting with authority said "As soon as I finish with this call I will send an engineer".  

Right, ok, now a few more brain cells joined the party, in a sarcastic tone I said "lockdown has just started, my internet is down and you are sending an engineer to my door today, as a matter of urgency!! I don't think so!" and put the phone down. 

Unbelievably he rang back an hour later from a phone number in a different part of the country, I think he was glad when I just put the phone down on him.

I never tell people my name or any personal details if they phone me, I make them tell me who I am (sometimes it's just easier than trying to remember myself) and he only shouted "Madam" in frustration, so he didn't know!  Con! 

It makes you feel silly to know you even entertained these people, but that's how they hurt others, too many of us don't speak up, so they con someone else out of their life savings just because we felt silly.  Speak up!  Tell the world! Quash these low life fraudsters!!

And no one call me until after 12pm!  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion