Discussion topic: Verification codes received but not requested

This message was authored by TracyAnnO This message was authored by: TracyAnnO

Verification codes received but not requested

I've received 7 Sky verification codes via text over the last few days BUT I've not requested them.  I only use Sky for my emails.  Any ideas why I'm getting these codes? And how to stop them? Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Verification codes received but not requested

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TracyAnnO 

It appears you might have setup 2 step authentication on your email account so each time you login you are sent this text with verification code.

To turn off 2FA sign in with the recovery code so at the login select "can't sign in with the code" link. You'll then be asked for the recovery code.

When you signed up to 2FA you were given a recovery code so if you didn't make a note of it then check the email you were also sent.

Help can also be found here on how to turn this off and/or change your number:
https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-yahoo-mail/two-step-verif/articles/two-step-verification

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

@TracyAnnO 

It appears you might have setup 2 step authentication on your email account so each time you login you are sent this text with verification code.

To turn off 2FA sign in with the recovery code so at the login select "can't sign in with the code" link. You'll then be asked for the recovery code.

When you signed up to 2FA you were given a recovery code so if you didn't make a note of it then check the email you were also sent.

Help can also be found here on how to turn this off and/or change your number:
https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-yahoo-mail/two-step-verif/articles/two-step-verification

__________________________________________________________________________________________
TracyAnnO
Topic Author
This message was authored by TracyAnnO This message was authored by: TracyAnnO

Fab! Many thanks...this has sorted my issue.  Much appreciated 

This message was authored by kmcnally This message was authored by: kmcnally

It might be an attempt to hack into your Sky account. My account was hacked a few days ago and emails requesting money purporting to be from me were sent to all me contacts. Shortly after I discovered the account had been hacked, I found a number of text messages on my phone from Sky sending me access codes, which of course I hadn't requested. I have 2 step verification, but  the account was still hacked.

This message was authored by Rachel,+Collington This message was authored by: Rachel,+Collington

I have also been getting unsolicited notifications recently and then one advising me of how to get a new sim for my phone. I do have two step notification but these were not in response to me logging into my email. What is going on? I have reset my access codes so hoping this will put a stop to it. Can't get to speak to anyone at Sky. Just automated. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Rachel,+Collington can you clarify:  are log in Verification codes going to your mobile? And what do you mean by resetting your 'access codes'?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Rachel,+Collington wrote:

I have also been getting unsolicited notifications recently and then one advising me of how to get a new sim for my phone.

What are these notifications for as the Sky mobile sim one doesn't sound like a verification code ?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion