Discussion topic: Sky emails not syncing to Mail and Calendar

This message was authored by PapaD This message was authored by: PapaD

Sky emails not syncing to Mail and Calendar

We're using windows 11. I have three email accounts on Mail and Calendar. My wife's and our joint account appear to be ok. However I was not getting all of my emails.  All the settings appear to be the same on each account. I've deleted and re added my account. to no avail. It is now showing an error saying that I need to give my account permission to sync to this device. Can anyone advise how I do this please.

Best Answers
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

Re: Sky emails not syncing to Mail and Calendar

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PapaD wrote:

Funny you should say that @jayach. Help.

If I use the IMAP or Pop3 settings it finds it rejects them saying 'Unable to sign in at server. Probably wrong configuration username or password. I'm entering my usual sky name and password.

The last time I set up Thunderbird, I found it will not give OAuth2 as an authentication option if you use the Sky servers, using the Yahoo servers worked fine, so change the server names to :

imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, all other settings the same and it won't require a generated password.

If you do use rhe Sky servers you will need to replace your usual password with a generated one.

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps

I did write a couple of posts all about it, but can't find them at the moment

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@PapaD wrote:

It is now showing an error saying that I need to give my account permission to sync to this device. Can anyone advise how I do this please.

Assuming you are using Windows 11 Mail, that's not an error, It's a request.

Presumably if you see this:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 223518.png

 You will need to scroll down to get the "Agree" button 

agree.png

If you mean something else, please explain.

PapaD
Topic Author

Thank you Jayach. Not a technical person so please bear with me. I have deleted/added account and agreed to the terms as you said. Emails continue to be hit and miss. What I have noticed is that if I go into settings for each account my settings are different to the other two that appear to be working ok. 20230515_143908 landp.jpg20230515-IMG_20230515_144350.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to get smaller pictures like yours.

Our joint account is the first screenshot. As you hopefully can see sync settings are different. I also have no access to advanced mailbox settings. As my account settings differ could that be the cause of the problem? If so how might I remedy it please. I might add that I had created the password problem which your advice helped me overcome. So many thanks for that. Best wishes. Paul (aka PapaD

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@PapaD 

What happens is you click on Done and Done on both of those ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
PapaD
Topic Author

Hi Caesarome.

Just to clarify the password situation no longer applies. That was an error on my part.

The lyndaandpaul account and Lyndas own account are working ok. My account is not. I've checked via the Sky website and I've had 4 emails this morning. Only one was sent to Mail and Calendar. As suggested I've gone into settings and pressed Done and then save on my account. It says it's fixing it but still no emails are being received automatically. If I select sync near the search button on the inbox page it searches and will sometimes send me one message. If I ask it to sync a second time nothing happens.

I can't help but feel that the problem lies in the fact that, as you can see from my screenshots, my settings are different to the other accounts which are working on Mail. I just don't have any idea how to set my account to the same settings as the others.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't use Windows 10/11 mail, so probably can't help much more.

I did try it once, but found it "flaky" much the same as you.It never seem to quite reflect just what was seen on the server via webmail.

I have added my Sky email address to it, and my sync settings look much like your 2nd one, so I don't know why you have two different versions.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 163048.png

However it is only showing a single mail in my inbox (the one telling me I have added the account) although there are definately lots more. Even using the resync button doesn't work. 

jayach_0-1684252792883.png

So I really don't think I can explain it. Perhaps you should consider using a different client.

PapaD
Topic Author

Many thanks for that Jayach and thank you for having a look at it for me. One request if I may. If you don't mind me asking. What mail client do you use please.

Best wishes

Paul

I use Outlook, but you need Office for that.

If I didn't have access to Office, I would probably use Thunderbird.

PapaD
Topic Author

Many thanks jayach. I'll have a look at Thunderbird.

Thunderbird can be a bit "techy", but is  a good client. Any queries we will try to help.

PapaD
Topic Author

If I use the IMAP or Pop3 settings it finds it rejects them saying 'Unable to sign in at server. Probably wrong configuration username or password. I'm entering my usual sky name and password.

If I try to configure manually I get this (apologies for the quality).

20230519_131938 thunderbird.jpg

I've checked I've typed my email address and my usual password correctly.

Is there anyway of checking these settings. Could it have anything to do with a 16 digit password I've read about somewhere. As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Paul

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Thinderbird should work if you are using the OAuth2 as the protocol, otherwise try generating a 16 digit password and using this instead of your usual password:

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@PapaD not having used Thunderbird for a while, what are the options under 'authentication method'?

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

@PapaD wrote:

The last time I set up Thunderbird, I found it will not give OAuth2 as an authentication option if you use the Sky servers, using the Yahoo servers worked fine, so change the server names to :

imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, all other settings the same and it won't require a generated password.

If you do use rhe Sky servers you will need to replace your usual password with a generated one.

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps

I did write a couple of posts all about it, but can't find them at the moment

PapaD
Topic Author

Thank you so much @jayach. I now have all three emails set up on Thunderbird. Going to see if I can work out how to import our contacts now. Found import so going to try the highlighted option first.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion