Discussion topic: Accessing sky email abroad error 288

This message was authored by John+Chanin This message was authored by: John+Chanin

Accessing sky email abroad error 288

Looks like sky email is now not accessible in many countries since it was taken over by Yahoo, since all IP addresses are considered "a threat".  This is of course nonsense, and I don't have difficulty with my other email accounts, but I use sky.com as my main email address, and it is a nuisance not having access to email for weeks on end.

I don't suppose this is going to change, so my question is :

Will installing a VPN set to UK resolve the problem?  A VPN would be useful anyway to get round censorship in countries like China.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Accessing sky email abroad error 288

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

See Sky's help here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/problems-accessing-sky-yahoo-mail

Give a VPN a try. Some previous posters have reported success, others not.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@John+Chanin wrote:

Looks like sky email is now not accessible in many countries since it was taken over by Yahoo,

It has not been "taken over by Yahoo", it runs on the Yahoo platform, and has done so since 2013, so no real changes, but yes, security has been tightened. Thank all the scammers for that.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Mark39 wrote:

Give a VPN a try. Some previous posters have reported success, others not.

I think that may have something to do with the VPN provider used, some are better than others.

John+Chanin
Topic Author
This message was authored by John+Chanin This message was authored by: John+Chanin

I'd really like someone actually using a VPN which works to confirm this, and tell me which one they use.  The SKY help linked to above is useless.  Telling them your IP address makes no difference because they have cut off all IP addresses from most countries.  If you ring their useless contact centre they know nothing about it.  There have been previous threads on Sky community discussing this.  I know Sky won't help. I'm looking for a way round the problem. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion